Ferroli Modena 80E

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a Ferroli Modena 80 E. The hot water comes on fine but when I try putting the central heating on it wont do anything. Any ideas?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Following on Ray's comment above...

If the boiler is cold and you turn on the CH does it fire up for 20-30 seconds?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Jackecole - the controls are on the boiler, that is all.
Sooey - The controls on the timer just don’t work. The pre set programmes don’t come on and I cant use the over ride button.
Agile – the CH will not come on full stop

As usual we have not been told what controls there are and which are missing!

Is there a roomstat ?

Its like doing a cross word without the clues!

I suppose a chimpanzee would get the answer in 4.2 million years. Or 4.2 million chimpanzees in one year ( if they did not sidetrack each other ).

Jackecole - the controls are on the boiler, that is all.
Sooey - The controls on the timer just don’t work. The pre set programmes don’t come on and I cant use the over ride button.
Agile – the CH will not come on full stop

did you miss this bit agile? :mrgreen:
so the chance's are its the integral timeswitch, a common fault

have you changed the time settings? one thing these timers hate is out of sequence times. try resetting the times in numerical order there are 8 ons and 8 offs if 1 of these is out of sync they don't like it.
if you are sure they are ok then its new clock time i would suspect have you tried it on 1 (manual override) also make sure the other switch is on run not P or the other setting (cant think what it is but its for time setting)

easy way to prove the timer is faulty is to take the 2 black wires off it and link together (doesnt matter which goes on which terminal when you put them back)

Gas_man_gaz thank you for pointing that out to Agile. It seems not all chimpanzees have leant to read yet. Give them a few more million years and they might, hehe. Sorry couldn’t resist.

Do you have any ideas how much something like that would cost and is it easy to fix?

There are no controls anywhere in my apartment. All the controls are on the boiler. The DHW comes on file and the boilers fires up. However, the CH does not budge and the over ride button on the timer does not do a thing

Kevindgas – Yep, I have reset the timer to the preset options, it does not seem to make a difference. On the back of the timer there are 5 “ports”. With wires connected to 1, 2, 3 and 5. 4 is empty. How do I link it all together? Sorry, no idea.

Thanks

Guys thanks for this but how on earth do I link the wires together? I have taken the timer out of the boiler and I can disconnect the wies but that were my skills stop. Any chance of a step by step guide for a novice?
Thanks

On the back of the timer there should be a connection diagram.
Check yours to see if there is one.

Before you start messing about with stuff switch off the power to the boiler, otherwise you may get zapped with 240v.

Now, quite possibly the wires are:-

Wires 1+2 are the power supply to the timer, 240v.
If there is a diagram, there will be a small circle with the letter "M"
Don't link these out, just leave them on the timer.
These wires may also be coloured, brown and blue.

Wires 3+5 are the ones you want to link out.
These have female spade terminals attached, once they are removed from the timer, they should be able to interconnect with each other, perhaps using some insulating tape to ensure they are in good contact with each other.
These wires should(?) be the black ones.
The diagram on the back of the timer should be showing a switch contact between these two wires.

BUT before you do anything on yours, check the diagram.

Upon switching the power back on, the CH should come on. Keep fingers etc away from the live connections on the back of the timer and make sure they are not touching anything that will conduct.
Not sure the voltage on the switch terminals.

Thanks HH1, that worked a treat. Can I just ask though, is that legal? I mean if a British Gas engineer came around and seen the two black wires connected by tape would he be having words? I think I will be in the market for a new timer though becasue now I know thats the problem.

Thanks

Your only connecting them with the tape to prove/disprove the fault.
It's not meant to be long term.
That would mean the heating on all the time.
With the gas prices the bills would sky rocket.

Since you have done so, and identified the problem, and the solution, there is no longer any need to keep the wires together.

Just a wee trip down to the local superstore/screwfix/ebay/ or whatever to get yourself a new timer.

You dont need to use the exact same timer btw, especially if it turns out difficult to get.
It could be replaced by an external timer. After all its only a switch contact that is controlling the CH.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back