ferroli optima 200

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My ferroli optima 200 is about ten years old, went out last night, relights then goes out after about 15 seconds with a click. The flame was quite orange.
Engineer today said that the holes in the pipes in the combustion chamber are making it burn too much and uncleanly, and that we need a new boiler, which will have to be a condenser, that this one is "too old" to be worth fixing. And that won't be able to do anything for two weeks, so no hot water or heating for the next two weeks. He has also stuck a sticker on to the effect of "unsafe - do not use". Does this sound reasonable/ correct. Can't really afford this at the moment...

Sponsored Links
ask yourself a couple of questions

1 does prescott care about you (falls over laughing)

2 have the yanks (whose rear end mr tony blair ) has his head stuck up the obvious orifice signed on the dotted

if the boiler wes burning that badly then the lad did the right thing

repair might be uneconomimy advice FWIW wait for weargas or dp

end of rant ;)

You don't have to have a condensing boiler fitted if he can do it before april.

well, you can find out it's actual age by removing the front panel and looking at the data plate on the back of the panel. I'm also assuming you mean an Optima 201, I've never come across a"200".
As for an "unsafe" sticker being put on, well that's down to the discretion of the attending engineer and what he deems safe or unsafe.
You need to be clearer on what you mean about "the holes in the pipes in the combustion chamber". You could mean the actual holes in the burners which if oversized wouldn't change the amount of gas being burnt but would change the flame picture. If this is the case it'll be the first case i'd heard about on any boiler! The other thing you may mean is the slots between the fins of the heat exchanger which would be cured with a proper service but wouldn't make an appliance "burn too much". Either way it sounds like the bloke who came out is having your pants down to the tune of a new boiler (i haven't seen the situation so this is purely based on your description).
When you say the boiler relights but goes out after about 15 seconds do you mean the pilot just goes out without the main burner being lit or do you mean the pilot clicks off 15 seconds ONLY AFTER the main burner has been lit. If it's the latter you almost definately have a problem with the flue being blocked or having come apart internally where you can't see (inner pipe not outer pipe) causing flue gases to mix with incoming combustion air. This certainly would explain the orange flames.
I'd get a second opinion from someone who better understands the characteristics of combustion.

Sponsored Links
There are four pipes with small holes along the bottom, the front two pipes have extra holes where it looks as though the pipes have corroded. the holes are on the left hand side and there is some scorching of the left hand wall of the chamber. They look like they have been there for a while though, and the hot water and central heating have been fine till the last week, when i have noticed the shower getting cooler (but still warm enough - just had to turn the dial further)

The pilot lights the main burners, then both go out with a click after about 15 seconds. The engineers boss came around in the evening to prepare an estimate for a new boiler, and said that it would also have to be moved, it currently uses the chimney as its flue - i don't know whether its lined, we only moved here last summer.

The plate at the back says 1994, and definitely say optima 200. Thankyou all for replying.

CANT see this guy touting for business then telling u to wait for two weeks seems to me his is being genuine as its only a days work or long night or part weekend or etc

phone around and make sure u get at least 15 quotes seems that is the amount needed to make sure u r not being ripped

did i say 15 sorry i meant 25

well the company concerned eventually quoted £2100 +VAT to fit a new boiler, its gonna be done this Friday for 1050 inc. VAT. I only had three quotes, the other was 1750 inc. VAT, so not quite 25 quotes, but definitely not the first! thanks for all the information on here, and response to my query - but yes it seems the engineer himself was just giving his honest opinion, but the company do seem to be a little..... er... greedy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back