Ferroli Optima 701 Overpressure.......?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

I've read many many posts over the years on here, and always get great help, but now I've had to join to get a (hopefully) more specific answer.

My Optima 701 has an over pressure problem - as like all the other posts, it starts at 1bar cold, then rises to 3bar, ejects the excess pressure and so on goes the cycle.

I've done as recommended on the other posts, by emptying the system pressure and pressurizing the EXV to 0.7 bar, 1.2 bar and 1.5 bar but nothing is stopping the system from over pressurizing.

The only way I've been getting marginal relief is by leaving an air head in the bathroom rad.

Am I correct in thinking that the EXV would show as failed by ejecting water from the Schrader valve? because it isn't.

Any ideas?

I'm thinking of sticking an 8 litre external vessel in, hoping that this would cure it.

All answers gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
hi,
you only need 10psi in you expansion vessel and 1.2bar
pressure at cold in your boiler
if its till overpressurerising then check your expansion vessel by releasing the air out of it and seeing if the pressure in your boiler drops as well, if it doesnt your vessel tube might be blocked.

check filling loop not passing when turned off or worst case main heat exchanger passing and filling heating up.

Sponsored Links
hi,
you only need 10psi in you expansion vessel and 1.2bar
pressure at cold in your boiler
if its till overpressurerising then check your expansion vessel by releasing the air out of it and seeing if the pressure in your boiler drops as well, if it doesnt your vessel tube might be blocked.

Thanks for your reply dax1gasman I guess I'd need the system empty to take the EXV pipe off?

You might be on to something there, I don't recall seeing the system pressure altering.

Nick

yeah thats right. drain down the appliance.
if you release the air from your expansion vessel your gauge should drop a bit. if not check that pipe

dont forget only gas safe engineers can work on an aplliance

Now I'm going to look like the arse newby by questioning someone who's offered helpful advice so I hope this isn't taken that way....

Firstly it's my own boiler, and I know the HSE's viewpoint and also the Gas Safety Regs 98.

I work for a multi-national blue chip as a maint tech. I've got my HND in mech eng and my 17th Ed, so I'm accomplished in my own field. So, secondly, and some clarification from others would help here - are you saying that I'm not allowed to work on the wet side i.e. expansion vessel, rads, plumbing to the rads, etc if it's not my own DIY work?

My interpretation, and that of my employing company is that the regs apply to gas pipework, combustion and the associated electrical control gear.

Structured replies would be gratefully appreciated.

My understanding as a DIYer is that you may work on the wet side of the boiler, but that you shouldn't open the combustion chamber or work on any gas carrying components.

Thanks to dax1gasman for the pointer, it was a blocked EXV pipe.
Descale and inhibitor this summer I think.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back