Few Questions Re. Cleaning Turboma Plate Heat Ex.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The plate heat exchanger in my Turbomax (242/2-5) is scaled up from hard water, and I intend to take it out this weekend to clean it.

Three connections on it are spring clips with O rings underneath, and the fourth is a nut with a fibre washer underneath it. Should I change these seals as a matter of course, or only if they are damaged?

If the cleaning doesn't go well, and I have to replace the HEX, is it OK to buy a new one from somewhere like Ebay? They are half the price of most parts companies. Are they likely to be non-Vaillant parts? Or should I stick to a genuine Vaillant heat exchanger?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I would replace the o-rings and fibre washer, you need to buy genuine Vaillant o-rings though as standard ones don't fit (I've tried). Apparently you may be able to get away with smearing the o-rings with silicone grease but I didn't want to risk it.

I would buy a genuine part if it needs replacing. How do you plan on cleaning it?

Thanks for your reply.

Was going to put a 50/50 mix of spirit of salts and water in the dhw side and boiling water in the ch/primary side to speed up the process.

Thanks for your reply.

Was going to put a 50/50 mix of spirit of salts and water in the dhw side and boiling water in the ch/primary side to speed up the process.

Sounds okay, might as well clean the primary side while your at it.

Sponsored Links
Should I use the same 50/50 mix for the primary side, or something else?

Yeah should be fine, give it a good blast out with water when you done, I usually use the garden tap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back