Plate Heat Exchanger Grant Vortex Pro Internal Combi 26

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I replaced the plate heat exchanger 18 months ago and despite the supplied fibre washers and good cleaning of pipe faces, the top supply (mains pressure) joint has always weeped a little, despite re-tightening. With the heat, it quickly evaporates but now the build up of calcium is making me wonder if it will cause a failure of the heat exchanger, just like the previous one. I don't really want to drain down the system and remove it, I just want to clean and re seal the joint. Can someone suggest the best approach, do I use more than one fibre washer to increase thickness, some other type of washer, a sealant (what sort) should I wire brush the surfaces clean, or use emery paper, or even a file (I think probably not) ?
Even if I am advised to remove the whole heat exchanger to clean all the surfaces, I'd still like to know what washers/ sealant to use.
Thank you for any advice. Andrew.

Sponsored Links
We tend to throw the fibre washers and use rubber ones (having first made sure mating surfaces are clean) I use cleaning tape because it's always in van.
If your getting hardness building up you really should consider some sort of water treatment.

Thank you for your very helpful reply, I shall follow your recommendations. I didn't know rubber washers were used, and presumably they don't need to be done up so tight. And thanks for making me think about water softening, there is presently just a Sentinel Electrolytic Scale Inhibitor which is at least 5 years old, and probably not really up to the task in the first place. I will put something better there.
Thank you again, Andrew

I think your Sentinel scale inhibitor is fitted in the primary circuit and protecting the boiller and pipework. Exedon is recommending treatment of the mains feed into the DHW heat exchanger.

Sponsored Links
Thank you Oilhead, it is actually in the 15mm mains cold feed into the heat exchanger, that has the Sentinel device in. I have an ADEY Magnaclean and inhibitor in the primary circuit. I am hearing that electrolytic inhibitors are not much good, and my experience confirms that.
I am considering a Cisternmeister with Siliphos balls as a lower cost alternative to a full blown water softener. I read that not everyone is happy with the chemicals / mirerals /ions that they introduce, but since it is not the whole property that I wish to soften, just the DHW supply, I think it should be fine.
Thanks for your interest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back