Fiat Doblo van 1.9 diesel engine - is it crop?

nec

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I bought a 2002 Doblo 1.9 diesel van last week :D to find this week that the head gasket has gone :evil: .

The van has done a genuine 35k miles with FSH.

My local Fiat dealer says that "from their experience" they will likley not replace the head gasket. On asking about pressure testing and skimming, it was his 'opinion' that they would only look at replacing the head in it's entirety :!:

That message says a lot to me and whilst I am in negotiation with the Dealer that sold the van I am very concerned about the longevity of this engine.

:?: Has anyone got a 1.9 diesel that has gone around the clock as yet please and equally has anyone also got any bad experince of this engine?

I love the van but if it comes to the push I will have to reject it unless someone can convince me that the engine is any good.

Thanks very much in anticpation.

Sponsored Links
If you have only just bought this van from a dealer, I would take it back and get a refund, if they start to squeal then get in touch with trading standards and ask there opinion.
I am surprised that the head needs replacing at such a low mileage, it might be that the main dealer is taking the p*s s as usual. I would also have a word with Fiat technical department.
regars johnwr

I agree with the previous post get rid. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with the engine and there are thousands all over the place with starship milages on them. That said you don't know the history of that engine and it could have been cooked. The dealer is quite right about just replacing the head it saves them time and they get them direct from Fiat and just drop it on complete. He probably suspects it's been cooked anyway. Why they didn't do it before they sold the van is anyone's guess.

ratm said:
There is nothing intrinsically wrong with the engine and there are thousands all over the place with starship milages on them.

ratm, Thanks for the input - I am very interested in your above comment as my source in the trade says that the 1.9 non turbo has a head problem that is well known in the industry :confused: - so any further information in support of the above will help me greatly.

Sponsored Links
I see you’ve already been on the Fiat forum so need I say more?
They’ve sold 310,000 world wide and the 8-valve 1.9 JTD remains at the pinnacle of the Doblo Cargo range. This 105bhp engine is of the first generation common-rail configuration and utilises Fiats Unijet injection system. It’s not as advanced as the 1.3-litre but its faster and nearly as economical. Maximum torque is 147lb/ft and it arrives at 1,750rpm.
Check this for some more info;
www.whatcar.co.uk/car-review-readers.aspx?RT= 359

ratm said:
They’ve sold 310,000 world wide and the 8-valve 1.9 JTD remains at the pinnacle of the Doblo Cargo range.

ratm - thanks for that and I cannot argue as I now understand how good the JTD engine is

but - (and there is always one) - dcan you get me the figures for the 1.9 non turbo engine which is the one I have with a very busted headgasket at 35k miles and Fiat people saying (behind closed doors) that there is a problem with!

ratm said:
Try this one out if you haven't already
www.honestjohn.co.uk/index.php?url=/carbycar/index.htm[/QUOTE]

ratm - Thanks for the tip - not too sure how I can 'measure' the 1.9 non turbo engine apart from counting the problems on the Fiat forum and at that rate I think it is about 7 reports of duff engines to 1 that has gone around the clock without a problem.

That coupled with the 'insider' information gives a strong 'smell' but I think I will need a lot more to convince the Judge if we get that far.

keep up the good work - I need all the help I can get on this one. ;)

Glad to be of help, hope you get something sorted. To be perfectly honest I wouldn't touch a Fiat with yours....but that's just a personal thing. If you had bought it at an auction you would be wishing you had gone to a dealer, are you any better off?

ratm

Thanks for the input again - what do you drive as a matter of interest ?

I have to say for the record that I have no other complaints whatsoever with regards to the Doblo - amazed at how user friendly it is in all respects - I just got it wrong - no better still Fiat got it wrong with this engine and as motor manufacturers do they get away with it cos mugs like us pay up for repairs not understanding enough of what goes on behind the scenes :evil:

Just for the record I bought it off a trader with the largest forecourt in the world - cyberspace via eBay :!:

Well nec at the moment I drive a 1996 Golf 1.9D. It's the wife's car really I just sold my old 405GLDT estate. We're trying to manage with one car for now. Believe it or not I hate cars and the less I can spend on them the better so I tend to stick to old bangers, mind you the golf is pretty good.
Buying a part off ebay is one thing but a new car that's a totally different ball game, you're a braver man than me.

Rule out the simple stuff first ;)

ratm said:
Buying a part off ebay is one thing but a new car that's a totally different ball game, you're a braver man than me.

Research, research and a bit more research. :confused:

I have found out one good thing our present politicians have done for us all :eek: - ammended the Sale of Goods Act to give buyers from Traders the chance to 'reject' goods that are not of Satisfactory quality which I claim is my case here. So the saga continues - watch this space.....

Sponsored Links
Back