FIAT PUNTO WIPER MECHANISM

hi all. I have had the split pin option done for me by a friend on my punto wipers. While it holds the arms in place, now the blades wont align like they use to.

Basically how do i set the arms and joints underneath so when the wipers are on they both work in tandem. At the minute the passenger side one is slighly faster and sets off before driver side one. At one point one blade was going the wrong way.

Any help appriecated, ASAP!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
We've had 2 puntos and in both cases the wiper mechanism detached from the driver's side wiper (usually on a motorway in heavy rain - deep joy)

First time round (MKII) i did a temporary repair which lasted a few months by using 3 tie-wraps. One tight around the likage arm, another around the wiper arm, and a third as tightly as possible connecting the two.

When I (foolishly) bought another Punto (MKIII) and it happened again I found that it is a common problem. To remedy it I have bought replacement linkage arms of ebay (Wipex) and fitted them this morning.

Although they claim that the arms just 'push on' I really struggled and had to employ adjustable pliers to crimp them on. Despite swearing numerous times at the force required, I am reassured that if they were that tight going on, then (fingers crossed) they should last. By contrast the Fiat linkage arms came off very easily so were clearly on their way out.

As for us thats 2 of the 3 common Punto problems dealt with (exhaust & wipers) Hopefully the third (cylinder head gasket) wont occur.

i took the arm of and lightly squeezed the arm around the hole with a pair of molegrips . set the molegrips so they dont squeeze to much, then pop it back on it has been ok so far for several months

Just wish I'd found this site before I went to the garage this morning.

Took my MKII JTD for a service, but think the chap said it was gonna cost £120 inc the fitting + replacement arm etc.

They did say that this was a common problem with Punto's so at least they weren't bulling there.

Sponsored Links
yep, mine's gone too and I refuse to be ripped off by fiat. there's no downward force on the ball joint so a hose clip would probably work ad infinitum as a permanent fix, gonna try it

Toyota do a forked clip that slides under the ball, and the top of the clip holds the socket on to the ball. I've got the part number somewhere, but they're very cheap, and can be used to repair any ball and socket linkage. The last one I used was on a Renault clutch pedal assembly !

My sons car was exactly the same. I got a coupling from work used to couple two small shafts together that is clamped by a screw. Slipped it on the ball joit and clamped it, with plenty of grease.

iv got the same problem it looks like the rivet snapped and fiats told me will cost 248 4 whole new part and labour gggrrrr heeeeeeellllllpppppppppp lol

iv got the same problem it looks like the rivet snapped and fiats told me will cost 248 4 whole new part and labour gggrrrr heeeeeeellllllpppppppppp lol

it just needs a new rivet or split pin - or even a small bolt and nut with loctite. Thanks to everyone with suggestions here - I had this same wiper problem and in the absence of small jubilee clips, other small fixings etc etc I fixed it by drilling the post with the ball on using a Dremel, refitting the arm (using washing up liquid to push it all the way on over the rubber grommet) and then using a panel pin to push through the hole. Bent the pin both ends to stop it falling out, greased it up and it works fine. 30 mins to fix. I used about a 1.5mm drill bit then a 3mm one. Even if you had to buy a Dremel it would be a lot cheaper then the prices quoted here - and you'd have the tool to fix the other wiper when that fails or other bits fall off the car.

btw - I used the flexible bit off the dremel - worked a treat.

Used the wipex solution once, but they came off the other day. I noticed that the ball has worn, so it wasn't the arm this time. (perhaps the wipex plastic is harder and wears the ball down)

Anyway- solution found this time was to Araldite 5 pence pieces to the balls (they appeared flat bottomed). So far, so good!

Toyota do a forked clip that slides under the ball, and the top of the clip holds the socket on to the ball. I've got the part number somewhere, but they're very cheap, and can be used to repair any ball and socket linkage. The last one I used was on a Renault clutch pedal assembly !

Do you know what Toyota they are used on?
Or where are they used on the car?

After I found several threads on several forums on this matter, I thought I'd post my "botch job" fix for this. Not sure how long it will last but I used some epoxy adhesive to attach a blanking plate from a plug socket (random I know, guess you could use a washer or a penny or something instead) to the bottom of the ball joint.

This is on my Fiancée's car, I'll see how she gets on and might invest in the Wipex solution or the clip thing over at askthemechanic.com. (thanks tonys289 for linking* to that)

*pun unintentional

Sponsored Links
Back