Problems fitting a new Fiat wiper motor (Magneti Marelli)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hoping someone can shed some light on my problem.

I have a Fiat Punto MK1 (pre-1999), the motor burnt out and so I ordered a Magneti Marelli motor, which is supposed to work with Fiat Punto MK1's.

My uncle and I fit it this weekend, making sure we put it in exactly the same as the burnt out motor we took out. But the result was that the motor moved the wipers down, before it moved them up. Basically, it was not possible to have the wipers in the normal 'parked' position, since it tried to wipe the bonnet, before moving up to wipe the windscreen!

Does anyone know, do the new Magneti Marelli motors need to be fit the other way around i.e. 180 degress the other way? To be honest, I am not convinced it will fit the casing, if we fit it the other way around. But I cannot think of another explanation.

Sponsored Links
Did you let the motor run and park before you put the wiper arms back on, or did you not remove the wipeer arms?

Yep, I let it run and park before fitting it. In fact we did this several times ,subsequently refitting the wipers, whilst we tried to work out this issue.

The motor may be turning in the wrong direction? This can be changed by swapping the wires in the motor plug.

Be careful, but if you check the old motor you will find the wiring of the plug will be different?

The dealer gave you the wrong motor, or did you get it from a breaker?

Sponsored Links
got it new from a dealer. Will compare the wires from old and new units. Cheers.

Back