Vauxhall Vectra wiper motor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I wonder if anyone could help my daughters 2007 1.9 SRI cdti Vectra has developed a fault on the windscreen wipers, they will only run at the fastest speed and will not park, the main dealer true to form, told her the motor was on it's way out, and quoted her a ridiculous sum for a replacement.
I believe the fault is elsewhere, in either the switch or faulty resistors, or possibly a relay? has anyone any thoughts.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
I'd try another relay first. They are cheaper and easier to replace than a motor.

The windscreen wiper motor should continue and self park regardless of wiper switch circuit. The only external thing that could stop the motor from parking is the supply wire from the battery that does not go through the wiper switches. It will probably be controlled by a relay from the ignition switch and fused.
1. Use a bulb or meter to check for a constant 12volts at the motor with the ignition switched on?
2. Wipers work ok in the slow speed position? If so, local breaker for a motor, hopefully its a easy fix.

No sticking wipers everything free to move, as the high speed circuit will throw the cut-out in the motor if overloaded?

Thanks for the replies Stivino and Mursal, I think the relay is the first thing to eliminate, I cant envisage it being the motor, in my mind a motor either works or does not work, the various speeds must be controlled via switching the appropriate resistor / resistors, via the relay.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies Stivino and Mursal, I think the relay is the first thing to eliminate, I cant envisage it being the motor, in my mind a motor either works or does not work, the various speeds must be controlled via switching the appropriate resistor / resistors, via the relay.

Wotan

on a lot of vw/stable cars then they will continue to work even if there beginning to fail.
on the galaxy you can attempt to mend the motor by either taking it apart and regreasing but i do believe a few people have managed to drill through the housing and pump in some grease.

I think you will find there is all sorts of electronic control modules on this, autodata suggests there are 2 fuses for the speeds f11 and f12 both 30amp worth checking the low speed one.
Does it have auto rain sensing?

I think you will find there is all sorts of electronic control modules on this, autodata suggests there are 2 fuses for the speeds f11 and f12 both 30amp worth checking the low speed one.
Does it have auto rain sensing?
Thanks for that info, ch427, I will certainly look at that possibility, it's my daughters car and she lives about one hours drive away, two services ago they charged £50 to locate and change a fuse controlling the fuel flap opening, they tried it again on this last service too, she did not fall for it again, they removed it off the bill.
I believe the main agents are just rip off merchants, and will try anything.
No auto rain sensing fitted.

Wotan

I have exactly the same problem on my 2007 Vectra as your daughter's Vectra in that the wipers only work at double speed and won't park.

I'm thinking it is the relay, but would greatly appreciate your input as I know very little about cars and if you were able to fix it with a relay replacement it would save me loads of cash by just replacing the relay.

Thanks mate
Steve

For what it's worth, the e-bay link shows a motor which looks identical to that ton my 2001 Astra. These motors have a self-parking mechanism which is nothing more than a sprung copper finger pressing down on the driven gear to the output shaft which has an insulated section. When power is removed the motor continues to turn until the finger contacts the insulated section and breaks the circuit. If the finger is broken on not making good contact, the wipers will stop as soon as the switch is turned off. Try removing the motor/wipers assy, drilling out the rivets and having a look at the self-parking mechanism. The "lid" is held on by 3 torx-headed setscrews and two rivets (IIRC)

Sponsored Links
Back