Fibre broadband

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know whether it is not permitted to sign up for residential fibre broadband to be used in a commercial premises?

Sponsored Links
I used to in my workshop. I cancelled the phone line at the beginning of the pandemic when I furloughed myself and I never had it reconnected. I don’t bother these days though as I’m hardly there - I just use my mobile and tether the PC and TV to my phone. I wouldn’t even bother asking them - just apply for it, they won’t say no. I think the only difference is that the bill is either inclusive or exclusive of vat.

Edit: it appears that with Vodafone, it would be cheaper having a business line!

F2DD33D3-3E7F-4F4E-B57B-4C43E599C4AA.jpeg6B4085AC-3BFA-4BF9-8F67-7C443AD63BB3.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m just wondering if there is something in the legal contract which might limit is used to residential.

Business network traffic could be higher. Usually, there's a fair use clause. So, if your network load is persistently high, they might throttle you. Also, residential broadband doesn't have static IPs. This makes it less useful for a business that might want to run its own web/mail/any-other servers. Business broadband might have more consistent speed.

Don't know if you can use residential in a commercial building. They will probably tell you if they are unable to give you a service. Fibre might involve new wires. Unless you own the building, your don't have permission to add wires.

Vodafone residential is a con. I would not recommend them.

Sponsored Links
If we’re leasing the building for 15 years. I doubt we need permission to install fibre broadband cables.

I understand contention ratios are higher on residential compared with business broadband.

Maybe check the lease document. For residential lease, the conditions can be quite restrictive.

Vodafone residential is a con. I would not recommend them.
Out of interest, why? I had it in work for a couple of years and I've had it at home for at least 4 years with no problem. I have Fibre 2 at home for £21.50 and I’m getting this:

981E1E54-4934-492D-87B7-784810750B10.png
Only 'problem' I had at work was that they forgot to charge me for the first 20 months and when they realised, they waived any back charges!

Those that have Virgin Fibre round my way are always losing connection for hours at a time and have been doing so for the past couple of years.

Well, my speed is better than yours, and I have great problems with them. My contract is coming to an end in APR and they bumped up the speed. But, I am switching away anyway.
vodafone.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back