Fibre Glass Wetroom.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just laid a wetroom floor with fibre glass sheeting and sealed with resin and hardener. In effect a giant bath 3m x 3m.

My problem is.....what to lay on top of the fibre glass floor to make it look pretty. Although the floor is now ultra waterproof it tends not to anchor well to adhesives. Anyone have ideas on what to lay on top and how to anchor it down. At present I'm using a large rubber mat from a horse box. Worx brilliantly but looks more like a Serbian brothel.

Sponsored Links
Not sure how well normal tile cement would stick to the glass but i would imagine an epoxy tile adhesive may work.

I would also be concerned about the amount of flex in the fibreglass but i suppose epoxy would help with that a bit.

You would really need to ring/ check with adhesive mftrs technical helplines to get a sure answer.

Sponsored Links
Coloured gelcoats I suppose. Trouble is, you don't want it slippy :confused:
I used to paint colored gell coat mixed with soft sand onto the decks of my fishing boat :LOL: . It worked a treat & lasted for years; would look a bit naff in a wet room though :confused:

BAL "Flex & Fastflex" adhesives are listed as suitable for use over GRP
http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/products
but I've never tried them personally.

I've just laid a wetroom floor with fibre glass sheeting and sealed with resin and hardener. In effect a giant bath 3m x 3m.

My problem is.....what to lay on top of the fibre glass floor to make it look pretty. Although the floor is now ultra waterproof it tends not to anchor well to adhesives. Anyone have ideas on what to lay on top and how to anchor it down. At present I'm using a large rubber mat from a horse box. Worx brilliantly but looks more like a Serbian brothel.

Hi. I imagine you have finished your bathroom by now. I hope it all went well. I am about to start a similar project, using fibreglass on an 18mm thick marine ply floor. I haven't examined the site in depth yet, but fibreglass-centre.co.uk trading as Portsmouth Fibreglass Centre appear to do a pigment, which can be added to the resin. They do online orders. I do not know any details, as I have just found the site. Do you have any advice, do's and don'ts? Cheers.

it seems to be tile adhesion is the problem with fibreglass wet room floors , i am in the process of a wet room in my own house and am steering to epoxy resin and fibreglass cloth , this is used in surfboards now and is very durable , as for adhesion i intend to sprinkle kiln dried sand into the top epoxy layer to provide the grip for the tile cement , i hope it will work if anyone knows different i would like to hear from them , its something you only get one shot at !!
.. many thanks ...

i hope it will work if anyone knows different i would like to hear from them , its something you only get one shot at !!
.. many thanks ...
You might get a better response if you posted your own thread :!: ;)

it seems to be tile adhesion is the problem with fibreglass wet room floors , i am in the process of a wet room in my own house and am steering to epoxy resin and fibreglass cloth , this is used in surfboards now and is very durable , as for adhesion i intend to sprinkle kiln dried sand into the top epoxy layer to provide the grip for the tile cement , i hope it will work if anyone knows different i would like to hear from them , its something you only get one shot at !!
.. many thanks ...

I want to have my wetroom on the first floor. A builder told me about this method using sand, but he also said he would never have a wetroom on any floor except the ground floor. I was also told by someone else that they believe the tops of the joining walls in some older terraced houses where the wall goes above the roof, are newly covered with fibre glass sprinkled with sand and then the coping stones are cemented on top. Never tried using fibre glass like this, but seriously thinking about it, as it is a lot cheaper than any other methods, but as you say, the adhesion is the concern.

.. many thanks ...

I want to have my wetroom on the first floor. A builder told me about this method using sand, but he also said he would never have a wetroom on any floor except the ground floor. I was also told by someone else that they believe the tops of the joining walls in some older terraced houses where the wall goes above the roof, are newly covered with fibre glass sprinkled with sand and then the coping stones are cemented on top. Never tried using fibre glass like this, but seriously thinking about it, as it is a lot cheaper than any other methods, but as you say, the adhesion is the concern.

Further to my last message, have a look at www.fiberglassswimmingpooltiling.com
Although this is an American company, it does give advice. I know absolutely nothing about this firm or its products, but probably worth a read. It also explains how to tile fibrelass (they say fiberglass) pools. I assume a fibreglass pool would have to be perfectly rigid, whereas a fibreglass floor may have some movement, unless it has a concrete base. I hope this helps you. Can you please share any advice you may find with me. My floor is joists and 18mm plywood. Hence the possibility of movement, although minor. This might make the fibreglass crack?

you can buy clear glass balls, which you add into the gel coat, which give a non slip surface. i have done about 30 fibre glass wet rooms, but each time i have got a fitter in to add a non slip vinyl flooring over the top of the fibreglass. its the same as you use in modern disabled toilets and swimming bath changing rooms. when i have done swimming pools you can use the mosaic tiles with waterproof adhesive. if you have any problems feel free to call me carl 07939140691

Just chanced across this and my builder has suggested using cure it as for a fibreglass wet room, cure it thinks times will adhere ok - the question is, would it be ok on a suspended timber floor with underfloor heating?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back