fiesta 1997 - endura e 1.3 engine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
my little fiesta has started giving me starting problems from cold

the car will start but if i go to pull away it wants to stall, after a minute or so its fine to drive and drives as normal

the idle control valve has been changed and still the same

can anyone shed any light on this ?

the car is picking up NO fault codes at all

Sponsored Links
Might be the cold start (choke) not working, check the 2 wire temperature sensor for bad connections (corrosion in the plug) or faulty sensor.

what is also startng isthat the cold is now not getting hot air into the car,

it does hot for a few minutes then is fully cold

any dieas but the 2 issues must be connected

Sponsored Links
Ensure the coolant level is up to the mark.

No choke, the computer (ECU) gives the engine a rich mixture when cold.

Can you explain more about the heating problem you have?
There is a temperature sensor in one of the pipes at the back top of the engine....if there isn't any coolant in there for some reason, the sensor gets no signal.
Does the dashboard temperature gauge work?
John :)

hi john

all works fine

the guage is fine

there is a sender in a pipe but this was replaced 6 months ago

could this be the heater control valve ?

would this effect cold starting ?

Unfortunately the heater control, although notorious for failure, can't affect the cold starting.
As has been said, thats controlled by the engine's ecu...basically the fuel / air mixture is enriched electronically - a bit like the old choke of days gone by.
Usually the engine has 2 temperature sensors.....one works the dash board gauge, the other sends signals to the ecu. So, we need to find the second one (if memory serves, the one in the back pipe is to the gauge) and I've no idea where the other sensor is (often in the cylinder head area though).
Do check the small bore air pipes around the engine for disconnection though, in the meantime.
Lets do a bit of googling.... :p
John :)

actually 2 sensors have been replaced, one in the pipe and the other on the back of the inlet manifold

the one that is on the back of the inlet manifold also has a wire connected further down to another sensor ?

any ideas ?

this is the sensor on the back of the inlet manifold and been replaced

no air in the system at all,

all pipes are hot,

1 of the 4 pipes that go into the heater control valve is not as hot as the other 3, timid warm at best

any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
Back