Fiesta 95 - No electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just done the normal new steering lock barrel job with the chinese puzzle kit from Fords - that bit all OK.

I had disconnected the battery (pos side), when reconnected there is no power to anything except the clock and the interior light. Probably is to ECU as something is taking some current from the battery.

No warning lights, no immobiliser light, no panel lights, no side/head lights, no hazzards.

No power to the ignition switch, there is power available to the ignition switch relay, but not to its activation coil.

Inertial switch is OK. I have checked that I reconnected all the wires to the battery. I have taken the battery off again for 20 mins to reset ECU, still no joy - what have I missed ?

Sponsored Links
Have you checked all the fuses? Are you sure you have the new one connected up right and there isn't a short circuit on there?

Yes, all the fuses are intact, not a lot of 12V around any of them (except interior light, and the supply for the central locking (which is not fitted)).

Its got to be something simple, to take out the ignition supplies and all the lights. I need to see a wiring diagram to trace the supplies to the relays. Can't find my Haynes manual, might have to get a new one !

Thanks for the support.

sounds as though youve left off a positive cable try looking behind battery remember some pos cables on fords are black.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice, I had followed most of these myself, but we now have it fixed !

The three wires connected together at the battery positive terminal are in fact fusible, one is the supply to the ignition switch, this had fused (inside its sleeving). A simple inline crimp and we are back in business.

The cause was that the AA man had detached the ignition switch from the steering lock to enable daughter to drive the car (operating the switch with a screwdriver). The loose switch had fallen against the steering column and shorted, thus fusing the fusible wire at the battery.

She didnt tell me about the smoking wire under the bonnet, and that the car would no longer start, I just went to change the lock barrel and religiously disconnected the battery before I started. When it wouldnt start afterwards I thought I'd done something stupid (it happens!).

Message for anyone with an apparently dead Fiesta, where the interior light is all that seems to work, is CHECK THE FUSIBLE RED WIRES AT THE BATTERY.

Thanks again for the other suggestions.

Back