Fiesta mk4

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help,I have a fiesta mk4 with a temperature gauge that doesn't work. I have tested the sensor, seems ok, is there a way of testing the gauge while still in the car and is there a fuse or something like in between to stop signal ?

Sponsored Links
The sensor you're looking at could be the coolant temp sender (for the fueling on the ecu), guage sensor should be a single pin terminal.

Sponsored Links
Guage sender has 2 wires red/white and black and is located at rear of engine and is fitted into heater hose.

Hi i'm not familiar with fiestas (i'm a motorbike builder) but i'll tell you what i'd do.
Most temp sensors are earthed senders mounted on rad or block where they're grounded, hence one (positive) wire would be all that's required.
Sounds like from what you say that yours is mounted in a rubber hose (?) so that's why it would have a pos and neg connection.
If this is indeed the case then first off clean all contacts, and check fuses if there is one for it (doubtful). If this doesn't work pull the positive wire (presume the red/white) and ground it quickly against the neg wire or any exposed metal surface on the engine block while someone watches the gauge for movement. If it moves you've got yourself a dodgy sender. Replace it. If it doesnt move then you've either a dodgy gauge in the car or a break in the lead.

Best of luck man
Dave

I think you are looking at the heater solenoid valve - try looking around the thermostat housing, from memory, this is where the ecu & gauge senders are, on Zetecs at least.

Hi guys, thanks for all the advise, seems like a dodgy gauge. P S not a zetec, 1.3 kent engine, wiring direct from gauge to sender, nothing to do with ecu. Dave was on the ball, cheers.

Sponsored Links
Back