Fiesta sump plug rounded

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm changing the oil again on my mk4 fiesta and have rounded the sump plug (it was filed down last time after being rounded to a smaller size). So I've decided to buy a new sump plug (anyone know what size - 12 or 13mm?) and when it arrives try and get the rounded one off. I've heard that mole grips are good for this. Can someone please advise to the pair I should buy (e.g. curved jaw/straight jaw/long nosed etc). Thanks

Sponsored Links
Curved jaw will be your best bet.
Stillsons also work if you have a pair

Yep.
As you're trying to grip something round, the jaws will grab it better being rounded.

Sponsored Links
Yep.
As you're trying to grip something round, the jaws will grab it better being rounded.

I would be surprised if Molegrips worked, for removing a sump plug.
You need a pair of Stilsons, certain to work.

Really? Can you recommend a good model at a decent price online because I wouldn't know where to look or what to buy. Thanks

you may have a problem fitting the stilsons on as the adjuster nut sometimes gets in the way,can you grind some flats on to the plug and get a spanner on it?

I'd have to get a file and spanner but I've just picked up a pair of stilsons from halfords for £9 so will see if they will work first

Tried the stilsons this morning but it wouldn't budge and it's now too mangled to get any purchase on. Plus it's a bit tight for space. Will ring the mechanic seen as I'm taking my car in anyway to have the brakes checked, maybe they can loosen it for me

Heat it with a blow lamp?

Chances are the plug is not made of the same material as the sump and one of them will expand differently to the other, loosening the joint.

Sponsored Links
Back