Fiesta sump plug rounded

Stilsons work on round tube, when used correctly.

Are you using them the right way? The fixed jaw should be pulling the sump plug anti clockwise, and the loose jaw should be pushing the sump plug anti clockwise.
If you use them the other way around, they will slip, and chew your plug up.

Sponsored Links
If it's too knackered to get a grip of, you might have to try chiseling it round, heating it is a last resort really.
When you do get it out you might want to replace it with a 19mm VW sump plug or a 19mm vauxhall one. They are interchangeable but the non Ford ones have a decent head that doesn't round off.

Yes I was using them correctly the metal was just too soft and gave way before the nut started to turn, even after WD40 and some whacking with a hammer and screwdriver. Took it to the garage and they looked at the front brakes coz they were squeaking but said they only needed the back of the pads greasing rather than replacing. They changed the oil and filter for me but having got home I see that the oil level is about 10mm above the max mark on the dipstick. Is this anything to worry about? They also helpfully forgot to investigate the slight whining noise under very slight acceleration

At least you got your sump plug out, I take it they fitted a new one. I wouldn't worry too much about it being slightly overfilled. When I change my oil I put in what it says in the guide and when I check the dipstick it's never bang on the line but if it's under I top it up to the line because people complain that it's short.

Sponsored Links
But having got home I see that the oil level is about 10mm above the max mark on the dipstick. Is this anything to worry about?

Nothing to worry about if you drive normally.
Do not over rev your engine, as you could build up too much pressure and blow seals.

Use a nut extractor, you can get a set for about a tenner. The plug will be no use afterwards but it sounds kaput anyway. One of the best things I've ever bought.

Or hammer a slightly smaller rig spanner over the plug. This works really well, sometimes you won't even need to replace the plug afterwards as the alloy is usually soft and the ring spanner cuts it a new set of faces as you bray it on.

Heat it with a blow lamp?

Hmmm.... a fire would be probable here, dont forget that there will be oil around and other combustable materials. But if you go that way I am not sure that your insurance will pay out even though you should be covered for fire. just get a pair of stilsons, they come in various sizes and should do the job.

Back