Fill and neaten finish between skirting and floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm decorating the bathroom, and as shown in the pictures I have a messy finish between the wooden skirting and ceramic wall tiles. The tiles are cut up to the skirting with grout along the edge going under the skirting. The grout is in mixed condition, sometimes getting loose (as it is across the whole floor to be honest), and some with excess paint splatters. I'd like to tidy this up. Options I'm considering...

a) scraping out mess and loose grout, filling any holes with a general purpose filler, running silicone to seal and finish.
b) fixing a wooden beading across the top of it all.
c) Re-grouting. This will still leave a gap between floor and skirting, but it will at least neaten up.

I have this problem in a couple of rooms, one of which has underfloor heating. Any concerns with movement, etc if I do go a silicone route?

Thanks,
SL

IMG_9784.jpegIMG_9787.jpegIMG_9786.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Sealant will water proof. Wood beading alone doesn't give you this. Beading + sealant could work.

Silicone fails too easily to be worth while. Go hybrid polymer if you can handle it. It's very unforgiving while you work with it. One mistake, and you will create a huge mess that goes everywhere. It is extremely forgiving once cured. New application will stick to old, and it doesn't fail like silicone. Also it can be used like a filler for non-load-bearing surfaces, such as that hole you've got in the corner, and it doesn't crack like caulk. Use a putty knife to get a flat fill. Once cured, apply sealant bead on top. Cure time is 24h and it is paintable. Masking tape will give insurance against mess.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back