Fill in external wall where door was removed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a set of patio doors installed into and extension. It means the old door on the other side needs closed up, either with brick or timber solution. I know i could do this by taking out the frame completely, then bricking this up with brick/blocks, then render. Not keen on this as it would mean a lot of cement mixing.

But can i do this instead with a timber frame, to close out the void?

As i understand, it would be timber frame, then plywood, then DPM or some sort of breathable membrane?

Only thing is, the rest of the extension is pebble dash. So can i apply a similar finish on top of timber based solution, after closing up the wall void?

Any feedback appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I know i could do this by taking out the frame completely, then bricking this up with brick/blocks, then render.

You already know the best thing to do. Brick it up, better in the long run.

It'll probably cost more to do in timber, membranes, boards etc than bricking it. If it was internal then probably stud wall, but being an external wall... nah.

Brick/block will be better. If you do go for the timber frame bodge, use tile backing board on the outer skin. Good odds the render will crack on the join due to differential expansion but at least the board won't fall to bits when it gets wet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back