Fill my heating circuit for my Glow Worm Ultracom 24cxi Combi Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I wish to fill my heating circuit for my Glow Worm Ultracom 24cxi Combi Boiler... I have switched off the boiler and opened both the grey taps through 90degrees and nothing happens.

I am no expert and my boiler is in this current state of the attached pictures.

Do anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1554.JPG
    IMG_1554.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 1,108
  • IMG_1556.JPG
    IMG_1556.JPG
    189.9 KB · Views: 3,940
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It looks like the filling loop is in the closed position.
Both valves should be in the open position, which will require a quarter turn so they are in-line with the braided flex.
I would have the boiler on, but the heating in the off position.

Why does the system need refilling?
There is cold water supply to the boiler and the flow/return valves are open?

Last edited:
Hi PrenticeBoyofDerry,

Thanks very much for the reply.

This is the problem... when I open the flow/return valves (grey taps)... nothing happens :(

The system needs refilling because I bled & removed three radiators to re-decorate. I have now put all radiators back on and when opening the first radiator, the pressure dropped from 1.3 bar to 0.7 bar. I then wanted to test if I could refill before doing the other radiators but didn't refill when opening the flow/return valves (grey taps)...

There is a cold water supply and I get hot water...

Does this help?

Thanks again

The flow and return valves are part of the central heating circuit, the two grey valves are part of the filling loop. So not the same thing.

Both grey taps need to be in the open position. I assume you have not touch any other valves than these two.

If you are getting hot water, that would suggest you have a water supply to the combi-boiler and the the boiler is pressurised enough for it to fire up.

What is the pressure gauge reading and have tried bleeding the radiator you have attempted to fill.
If you already gave 0.7 bar, it is possible that this is enough for boiler to fire up, but ideally wants to be about 1.2bar. You should hear and feel water running through the loop when both valves are open, but sometimes the fill is slow if an additional external filling loop has not been installed and the gauge will only move up slowly.
Also check that there is no water leaks on system or boiler that is stopping the pressure from rising.

Extract from boiler manual:

4.5 Filling the Sealed System

NOTE: The water pressure at the boiler must be at least 1.2bar to enable filling the boiler to a minimum pressure. If not pressurisation must be carried out by an alternative filling loop. The boiler has a built in filling device, see diagram 4.2. A pushon extension is supplied in the loose items pack to ease access to the filling device tap. This filling device is designed to enable the re-pressurisation of the system in the event of loss of pressure. It is not intended to be used to completely fill the system. If so used, it may take a long time to fill the system. To fill the system quickly provision should be made to include a proprietry filling loop external to the boiler. Suitable external filling systems are shown diagramatically, see diagram 4.3. The system should be pressurized to 1 bar, indicated on the digital display with no heating demand.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I found out the problem... the left tap had rounded off and was not turning the valve. I took off the taps and used grips to turn valves, which began the filling of the system. Guess I need replacement taps! Thanks for your replies PrenticeBoyofDerry!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back