Filled-in gully just below DPC?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, just looking for a second opinion on our filled-in gully! We recently found a broken drain below the gully outside the kitchen of our 1910 house (which the sink and washing machine drain into, so this had just been pouring into the ground for who knows how long!). We have just had this replaced with a new length of pipe that bypasses the old gully (the cheaper and recommended option from our drain man).

The gully has now been filled in with cement/concrete that slopes slightly away from the house and to the right - again this was the drainage guy's suggestion and we discussed in advance about making sure it was below the DPC level (although it was pointed out that the plinth bridges the DPC anyway, as we were aware). The plan was to put topsoil on top of this so that it joins up to the rest of the adjoining flowerbed.

However I'm now wondering if the level of the concrete is slightly too high - if the DPC is immediately above the airbrick, that would mean the concrete is only just below the DPC. Is this OK if it's just for a short distance and/or because of the plinth bridging anyway? Would you leave off the soil to avoid raising the level further and just put a couple of pots?

P.S. We have just had the rest of the ground level lowered by about one brick height (previously right at the base of the air brick), and the concrete is roughly the level the paving used to be.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20230912_185235.jpg
    20230912_185235.jpg
    674.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 20230912_185215.jpg
    20230912_185215.jpg
    563.6 KB · Views: 63
Sponsored Links
I'd avoid putting anything on top of the concrete that could bridge the DPC. Flower pots should be ok.

Personally I'd have recommended removing the old broken gulley, replacing with plastic gully and a concrete gully surround at the appropriate height, redirecting the waste pipe as required. This would have allowed easy replacement of the waste pipe in future. Soil could have then been placed back around as required to allow you to extend your flowerbed and reduce the visual impact.

Thanks @Hugh Jaleak for the response! Will go with the pots I think. The concrete level is a bit higher than expected and we didn't really appreciate that the pipe would be encased, but if it's not doing any damage like this then that's the main thing.

I'm now preparing to repaint the plinth with Sandtex masonry paint, and for this section above the old gully I am wondering whether it would help to take the paint over onto the new concrete slightly, or just stop at the bottom edge of the plinth? Or even stop at the original paint line which is slightly above there. I can't work out where waterproofing or breathability should be the priority!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back