filler dries to dust

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've tried to fit a floating shelf on my wall - 1800mm long and has 3 long bolts that go in the wall and then the shelf slides on.

However it's tinykitty impossible to get them to line up perfectly, so I've given up.

First I drilled the holes free hand with as SDS, but they only have to be out a tiny bit and the shelf won't slide on. So I removed the plugs, then over drilled the holes, then brushed some PVA solution, then filled the holes with cement. Thinking being it's smoother to drill into cement.

So I made a guide from a bit of 2x2 and matched up perfectly with the holes in the shelf, then used this guide and a steel bit to create my holes.

But the cement has dried really weak and just the action of screwing the bolts in damages the cement. The cement came from some brickwork I was doing in the garden and that has dried perfectly as you would expect.

I'm not sure if I want to give up or try again.

Any ideas on why the cement dried like that and how to fill the holes with something that will dry strong enough to support this shelf, which I'm going to put lots of books on.

Thanks for reading

Sponsored Links
Now there's a hole in the brick the drill but is always going to find it.

You would be better off starting again an inch higher.

endecotp - that was my next idea, epoxy resin and temporary supports, but I thought that's a helluva length to go to just to put up a shelf!

yes, I do have more bolts - they sent 3 but 2 were slightly bent, so they sent some more, of which only 1 was bent. Awful really. Epoxy method won't worry about bent bolts.

Should I use the rawlplugs on the bolts, to make them a bit bigger when putting into the resin?

Sponsored Links
No, no plugs with resin.

It's important to remove all dust from the holes. Read the instructions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back