Filler valve not working please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, the boiler in my new (to me) house has a pressure of 3 bar when cold. The filler loop is still in place. Turning the black valve handle on the loop in all directions has no effect: I can't hear any water gushing or feel anything. I disconnected one end of the filler loop and cold water came gushing out with a corresponding drop in pressure on the gauge.
All I know about heating boilers is what I've read on this forum. Does the valve need replacing? If so, how do I go about it and what precisely do I buy please? Please assume no prior knowledge on my part. Thanks in advance for any answers.

Sponsored Links
get someone in, it will be best in the long run.
If you insist on DIY you will need a filling loop and to turn off the cold water main, you might even have to drain the system, if the pressure drops when the loop is disconnected, the NRV is shot.

Thanks, Mick. I already paid out £80 for a service when I moved in 6 weeks ago. So if I can safely change the loop I will, or it's byebye to more of my hard-earned retirement fund. This bungalow was only built in 2006. Bought it for the 'low maintenance' aspect. Hah!

Sponsored Links
Thinking back, I connected the filler hose to my previous boiler to put pressure up to 1.5 bar. No water was gushing out before I connected it, so why can't I take this filler loop off without water gushing everywhere? Got soaked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back