filling 30-40cm hole in brick work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've just removed an old waste pipe from my utility room and its left a 30-40cm deep hole, my plan was to fill it with mortar but not sure 1) how to get to mortar in there as its a 5-6cm opening and 2) Will the mortar set ok if I completely fill it.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Mortar is ok just squeeze it in with a trowel. If it's a cavity wall then f don't over do it and fill the cavity.
It will shrink a bit when it dries and crack but there's not a lot you can do, just don't make the mix too wet and add some sharp sand to reduce that.

Mortar is ok just squeeze it in with a trowel. If it's a cavity wall then f don't over do it and fill the cavity.
It will shrink a bit when it dries and crack but there's not a lot you can do, just don't make the mix too wet and add some sharp sand to reduce that.

Cheers John, should i push it in with a metal rod to make sure it goes all the way to the back? also would expanding foam help?

Sponsored Links
I would ram a small bit of polystyrene into the hole, as said, not so far that it goes into the cavity
Then mortar, don't push so hard that the polystyrene is pushed out

You can buy small bags of quick set mortar, maybe do it in two layers
Slosh some water into the brickwork so it doesn't suck the moisture out of the mortar too quickly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back