FIlling hole in brick wall ceiliing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi the hole is about 40cm in diameter and about 30-50cm deep. It has a metal disc on the top and above that is a tiled outdoor walkway. Not sure whether this was the original place coal was put in to the shed but now it just lets water in so I want to get rid of it.

Sorry the pictures arent that clear

Any ideas on the best way to seal and fill this in would be highly appreicated

Attachments

• rsz_1img-20180304-wa0002.jpg
    rsz_1img-20180304-wa0002.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 102
  • rsz_img-20180304-wa0001.jpg
    rsz_img-20180304-wa0001.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 103
Sponsored Links
I would be tempted to make firm fixings into the side wall by drilling, and inserting a rod or two.
Then adding some steel reinforcing in a scrunched up form so that once t he concrete is in, it all sets as one lump
Then add a chunk of wood under the hole, supported by a pole so the concrete is supported
You could include a bit of heavy duty polythene to stop it sticking
Lift the metal cover and add the concrete from above, don't fill to the brim.
Once hard, add some bitumen type tanking stuff that will seep through any cracks to seal it. Several times
Then replace the cover

I can't lift the lid really as it's got all the old original tiles on it and they havent been laid into a lid theyre just laid directly on top so they'd all have to be broken away then put back neatly which would take me a while and probably would look worse than before.

What about painting several layers of tanking mixture to the inside then narrowing the hole with concrete round the edges, then doing something similar to what you've suggested with fixings, reinforcing and putting the larger amount of concrete (in relatively dry form) on a board then fixing it in place with a pole?

Or tank the edges then fill it with expanding foam?? joking.... but is that actually an option?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Dunno
I guess that tanking it with loads of bitumen may work. I was relying on gravity to allow a wicking action
But it may well work
You would need to find some way of forcing the concrete up into the space- maybe a couple of discs made of Celotex as pistons to take up some slump

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back