Filling a hole in exterior wall??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I have a hole in an exterior wall that I belive was intended to be a window opening for the previous owner, It is about 30cm tall and the same again wide. It has a sheet of plywood on the outside covering it and same again on inside with a kitchen cupboard in front, In the winter it gets a bit chilly because of the wind! Other side is an alleyway!. How would I go about filling this, could I place a breeze block in there and then cement it in. Need to sort this before winter really, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sorry Guess nobody at the time knew how to do it, So can my post be read again in case any one has ideas. Any questions feel free to ask!. Thanks

Good question Stuart, for the most part they seem to be solid and as its a 1900 victorian property I guess thats right but this window opening is towards the back of the property where it was extended and sounds a bit hollow when I tap the wall!.

Sponsored Links
Measure the thickness, and look at the external finish. eg. face brick or render.

The external wall is a grey concrete render, no evidence of bricks. Its an alleyway and I guess the original idea was to let in light but then who wants to stare at another wall 4 feet away!! Thickness, not sure!!

If it's a solid 9 inch wall, lay the blocks flat and render the outside.

Lay a mortar bed first, then lay the blocks on top. Each course needs a bed.
When the hole is filled render it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back