Filling and painting feathered plasterwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just re-plastered a large section of a wall.
Where it meets the existing plaster (which was sound) I have feathered as best I can with the finishing plaster - however I know I will still need to do some very fine filling and sanding at this juncture and then paint with emulsion.

I will apply a mist coat to see whats what first, then apply filler.

I want to use a filler that will stick properly when applied and sanded down so finely in places.

Any tips for doing this, and any type of filler - I get the sense a branded powdered filler (eg Toutpret or Tetrion All Purpose) is better than a ready mixed (from my experiences of tiling) - I believe they put additives in the ready mixed to stop it going off, or help it dry out of the tub - can't remember which - either way the additives that don't help matters.

Found this well written article, with some good tips:

https://traditionalpainter.com/various-fillers-for-painting-and-decorating
https://traditionalpainter.com/various-fillers-for-painting-and-decorating
The suggestion of mixing powder with emulsion paint instead of water to make it hard seems a good one.
As my task will involve very thin applications of filler (not patching holes, so a little different)- it mentions 'sizing' and issues relating to filler that can come off when you paste a wall (which I have experienced) - that is something similar to what I cam concerned about - although I will be painting directly the plastered wall.

Don't need a large bag of Gyproc Easyfill, but wondering if thats the gear to use, and will it dry hard enough ?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Don't use ready mixed. I would go for Toupret powdered. The Easyfill is not as good as the Toupret as paint flashes over it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back