Hard stop filler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm fitting Wallrock lining paper, for a painted finish, in my old house with a fairly odd curved feature. Due to the competing angles, I will have no chance in getting a close butt join in certain places and the joins will be at different, non vertical angles.

I've noticed a number of youtube videos where they talk about a hard stop filler, which seems to be powder filler mixed with water and paint. Anyone used this and what is the point of mixing in the paint, rather than just using regular filler then painting over it?

On a test section, I have already papered deliberately leaving a small gap, painted one coat, then filled with ready mixed plaster, then sanded and painted. Its ok, but its not an invisible seam. Just wondering if mixing hard stop filler with powder and paint, is likely to get a better finish?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I think the idea is the acrylic paint mixes with the powdered filler so it not dry and powdery in the gaps. It's a known thing on masonry outside to fill cracks but not heard of it used inside on paper. Toupret readymixed filler works OK.. I'll have to go look that up. Paste link to the youtube video for interest please..

There are a few videos on you tube, if you just search "hard stop filler" or "hardstop filler". Below are a couple:

The guy in this video mixes hard stop filler to plaster over imperfections found after the lining paper is on.

This one is filling the gaps in lining paper, although I'm not sure if he used paint in the mix

I had a lot of quite big gaps because I had to paper around a curved surface, running at opposing angles at some places. As I had quite a lot to do, and I had a tub of ready mixed plaster I just started off using that. The pics below show the feature I am talking about, after I had filled the gaps with the ready mix plaster, but before painting. I painted the lining paper and gaps before plastering, to protect the paper from sanding, as per the advice in the second video above.

Later I bought some screwfix own brand dry filler, mixed some water and some paint in and used that for some of the smaller gaps on my next pass. The good thing about having the paint mixed in is that you don't need to wait and paint to see how it looks, you almost have a final finish straight away. I always find when filling that I fill sand, then paint and after painting it shows up any issue so I end up filling again and painting a second time, but this saves a bit on the painting steps.

2021-03-05 23.10.51.jpg

2021-03-05 23.10.43.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back