Filling and Painting Render / Flaky paint below DPC

arh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I had an extension built abut 5 years ago. It is needing a fresh coat of paint so I am was seeking advice on the best filler to use for the few cracks that have appeared? I have tried to use cement before but he crack always comes back so not sure this correct. I saw that my builder had used some exterior polyfilla and these seems to work well but the texture does not match the render. Can I go over the filler with some cement to make it match? These cracks are very minor and have not changed much over the past year or two.

Can someone also recommend how I deal with the paint below the DPC as it is bubbly and flaky and the surface seems very loose. Should I seal this and then paint? It is quite low down compared to the house the the front of the driveway is higher than the hose so there is natural water coming down from the front to the back under the foundation.
View media item 49758 [/img]

Sponsored Links
Stcrutual cracks like the one in your photo often appear in the areas where there is a door or a window opening. When a building is built and you have openings in windows and doors which constitutes a break in the brick bond, makes an easy path for a structual crack. It is really the natural shrinkage and expansion of the building and the easiest path for it to crack is these openings. if the bond is broken for a lintol or a cill and it is not run in with the coarses of the brick or block work it will crack .A good builder will mesh the areas where this will be likely to happen , but when brickies on sites are on a price or paid per brick or block ,it is not their job to or their intension to make sure it doesn't crack. So when the spreads come to render it it is the same effect get it done get paid move on. It is not always the case but if you walk around an estate you will find that if there are any cracks to be seen they will be in these places. the only way to repair these cracks is to hack off the render minimum of 12" either side and above if poss and "obo" or screw with stainless steel screws stainless ex-metal over the cracks and re-render. Just filling these cracks will not stop them re-appearing...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back