Filling around Boiler Flue Hole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No doubt a stupid question, but I wanted confirmation I'm not going to cause problems ...

Here is the vent where you can see the cover doesn't come close to coverting the hole!

Without the cover you can see the big hole at the top and hardly anything at the bottom.

I can't get access to the hole from inside the house, so am I alright to squirt some expanding foam in to seal up to the internal walls and then fill the exterior with some cement mortar mix?

Sponsored Links
Yes
But use fire-resistant foam SPARINGLY and when you use mortar on the outside, make sure the pipe is pushed up as HIGH as possible (assuming it's a condesning boiler, the flue needs to slope BACK towards the boiler).

Where's the rubber boot that's supposed to fit over the end of the flue?

croydoncorgi said:
Where's the rubber boot that's supposed to fit over the end of the flue?

The first picture shows a silver coloured rubber ring which slots over the vent, is that what you mean or am I missing a piece?

Looks more like the bit which would go on the inside. WHat's the boiler?

index.php

you have the B you need a C, which is about 12cm diameter bigger than the flue.

Sponsored Links
Boiler is a baxi combi 80e. Assuming part C. is pretty standard, would I be able to pick one up from a plumbing supplies shop if I know the vent size?

The flue should should slope away from the boiler so cement it at the bottom on the hole.

Errrm....
Silly question, maybe....
But what are you doing with a newly-installed non-condensing combi?
So much for Building Regs Part L!

croydoncorgi said:
Errrm....
Silly question, maybe....
So much for Building Regs Part L!

wonder if they are going to notify this one? and if so how?

croydoncorgi said:

I never said it was new, it's actually 5 years old!

What's more shocking is that it's taken this long for me to notice the over sized hole. I must have lost the part mentioned in above posts, otherwise I need some glasses :eek:

diy_darren said:
I never said it was new, it's actually 5 years old!

What's more shocking is that it's taken this long for me to notice the over sized hole. I must have lost the part mentioned in above posts, otherwise I need some glasses :eek:

a7se
That hole looks fresh to me...;)

But those spiders were fast workers :LOL:

So:

No serial number
No controls fitted,
No inhibitor
120mBar burner pressure
Completely fabricated Kw (I would guess based on a boiler never being spot on accurate).
No temperature measurements
And the system being declared not to comply with the regs on one page and installed to the manufacturers instructions on the other.

Horsesh1t springs to mind. Whoever filled that benchmark out had no idea what they were doing. If you are going to make one up even, you would fill out more believable details than that. FFS you might as well have not bothered to complete it in the first place.

The fact that it is five years old or not is irrelevent here now. Spiders webs or not. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back