Filling behind skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - first post!

I've just put a load of pine skirting up on the walls and my wife would like it to be stained/varnished - which isn't too much of a problem in itself.

The problem is how to fill the gaps at the back - the plasterers left me with wobbly walls and although I've screwed the skirting onto the wall, I wasn't able to close up all of the gaps!

In a different room, I used white decorator's caulk to fill these, and because that was white MDF skirting to be repainted, that worked a treat. But in this current room, I'm not sure what the best choice is.

The walls aren't quite white so any caulk would need to be finely repainted to blend these in (agonisingly difficult in some places). The alternative would be to somehow use a filler that could be blended in with the stain, but I'm worried that this isn't possible or would be a bit naff.

I'd kept a load of the sawdust from the chopping/scribing thinking I might be able to mix it into the caulk to give a stainable surface, but I don't know if it will work/would just look like a bodge!

Can anyone offer any advice on what you would do?

Cheers,
Fred

Sponsored Links
flooring mastics are available in a wide range of colours to match the wood but you would still need to do some cutting in.

Alternatively fill with red devil onetime filler and try to stain it. most other lightweight fillers are crap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back