Filling deep drill holes to drill new ones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am attempting to repair a curtain pole fixing in a room where there is currently a deep hole in the wall where the fixings need to go.

Due to the curtain pole that is to be used the fixings need to go exactly where the hole is, so I need to find a way of filling the hole in a way that it is strong enough to take a new hole for the curtain pole bracket.

The hole is in plasterboard and just over 1 inch deep. the size of the hole is approx 1 by 1/2 inch (see photo)

I am not sure whether I use filler the repair will be strong enough to take a new wall fixing. Or should I fill the hole with a wooden plug and then use that as the base for the fixings.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
I would trim the hole to enable me to slip a piece of 9mm ply about 25mm x 100mm (or longer if it will slip in) through with some building adhesive on. Use a piece of string through a hole in it to pull it back and fix in place till the adhesive sets, fill the recess and either screw directly into the ply or drill a hole and use a brolly type fixing.

ideally enlarge the hole and fit in a piece wider than 25mm , that will be much stronger depends how much making good you want to do

Regards,
footprints

Get some gripfill, pump it in, insert rawl plug let it set hang curtain pole....job done.

can you not put a noggin behind the hole (piece of wood) fixed to the brick
then close the hole with plasterboard behind the wall, fill recess with bonding then screws to the pole bracket will then screw into noggin

Sponsored Links
Assuming that's a dot and dabbed wall, (I can't quite make it out) fill then Dryline Pro for the win.

Get some gripfill, pump it in, insert rawl plug let it set hang curtain pole....job done.

OK, hoping for a quick fix, this is the route I went for. It is now four days since I filled the hole and although the gripfill has now set it is still quite soft, certainly not strong enough to take the weight of the curtain pole.

Looks like I am going to have to dig it out and go the noggin route instead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back