Filling deep holes in the floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1960's house which used to have a hot air ventilation heating system, that was partially removed by the previous owners.

By removing the heater and fans, they exposed three large holes in the kitchen floor that had provided access to the (sheet steel) ventilation ducting.

Instead of filling the holes they covered them with chipboard and lino. I'm now looking at having the kitchen flooring replaced, prior to installing new kitchen units.

The holes in the floor are of various sizes (the largest is about 50x50 cm), however they are all 70cm deep.

I'm wondering how best to fill them in(?)

70cm of solid concrete seems a bit much, so I'm thinking well-packed rubble, gravel and a layer of cement? (if that sounds good, what depth of cement?)

Also would I need to remove all the steel ducting (which still lines some of the holes) beforehand?

(The concrete walls of the one hole which isn't still lined with steel feels quite dry - but I'm also wondering if I need to put damp-proof membranes in the holes?)

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Soil, mot layer, sand, dpm, concrete, screed I’d have thought. Or without the screed. Don’t think you can leave the dpm out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back