Filling deep hole in no fines wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently moved into a Wimpey No Fines house and have started to rip out the kitchen.

I'm removing old tiling etc. and have found some large holes, looks like it was for an old cooker switch. The previous people had filled the holes with paper and used filler over the top.

Ive removed alot of the mess and loose rendering.

The steel conduit in the wall is not going to be reused and im going to be plastering the wall once Ive tidied everything up.

What would be the best way to fill the larger holes, i was thinking cement or Thistle bonding coat, any ideas?
20170806_1601091295_zpsnoapyarh.jpg

20170806_160109[1295].jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
in some districts, they render the walls with sand and cement then skim with a hard finish plaster. I have a house done like that, it seems fine to me. I do electrical boxes like that. It seems to hold conduit better without cracking, I think.

I'd recommend it in your case. Spray the wall with water first to prevent it sucking the mix dry.

I think it's a local practice, my old dad used to do it because he wasn't much good at plastering and found it easier. I find it rather heavy. It sets much slower unless you gauge it right. It will slump if too wet. You can throw the first coat at the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back