How to use bonding for holes behind old skirting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I removed old skirting and when removing took out nails + big chunks in old wall which is crumbly anyway. An electrician who moved some plug points told me to get a bag of bonding and fill large holes with that. I bought a big bag of british gypsum 25kg thistle bonding purple pack.

bought a bag of bonding from diy shop. I dont have a drill or plaster mixer attachment. Can i mix this bonding with water by hand? Do i need this mixer attachment that you put on end of a drill. If so will need to buy this for 10 quid.

Or is there ready mixed bonding available? it's a small room 10' x 13' square. most of the back of skirting just needs a little filling at the bottom between wooden floorboards and the wall. There are some gaps about 20mm deep where brick is exposed and about 20mm between brick and adjacent areas with old plaster. I am going to pull out some of the old nails still on wall and that may expose more holes.

Help please - thanks Bob.

Sponsored Links
Use a broom stick or similar bit of wood, and a bucket, and mix it like you would pancake mix

thanks couple more qns:

1. should i not bother with removing old nails- everytime i try to remove i remove chunks of old plaster.

2. The old plaster is really soft and crumbly. It's grey in colour and looks like old cement but is really soft and flaky - will the bonding stick to the old stuff if it's very soft? there are some sections that seem solid as long as i don't interfere with them :D

Many thanks

Bang the nails in or bend them over

Brush off loose stuff, and leave the rest there. The new bonding will stick to it

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back