Filling gap around window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How should i go about filling this gap?the fitter put foam in and said to plaster straight to that and to pva the part of lintel that is visible beforhand,it is 25mm wide and about 20mm deep and looks like the foam is across the gap between the inner and outer bricks which has a layer of bitumen felt between them,should i cut back some foam and then building sand render then plaster or build up the plaster.
edit the 20mm depth is with a knife blade pushed into the foam.
edit2,have some offcuts of Recticel insulating board that could be used on the sides with the foil against the cavity once foam removed.

Reposted from building.

Attachments

• Window 001.JPG
    Window 001.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 342
  • Window 002.JPG
    Window 002.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 367
  • Window 003.JPG
    Window 003.JPG
    171.3 KB · Views: 353
  • Window 004.JPG
    Window 004.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 327
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    172.7 KB · Views: 384
Sponsored Links
PVC trims would be the easiest option.
If your going to plaster in then it sounds like you already know not to bridge DPC etc and that pretty much all there is too it.
Ideally you would also replace the window board too

Thanks for that as it confirms what the fitter said,he did leave some trim but i am not that keen on it and would rather just finish off with caulk and paper up to the frame,window board will be replaced as that is short by the same distance but may try pinning and glueing some that was cut off another board.

Sponsored Links
I used to plaster in all windows but to be honest trims do just blend into the window. Its the window cill trim that really stands out

With wood frames i didn't mind the beading but with plastic somehow it does not look right i guess it's my age and what you grow up with but with plastic without a trim i quite like the nice sharp line so guess it's all a matter of preference.

I didn't like plastic trim, when my windows were done, so those that were on show, ie kitchen/living room I plastered, the others I let him do with trim. I feel it was worth the effort.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back