Filling Gaps Between Stone & Coving ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of an unusual one, but I have interior stone walls and am trying to find a solution to filling the gaps between the unevenness of the stone and the straight edge of the coving. Maybe I should have gotten a plasterer to make a smooth surface at the top for it to fit against, but then I'm not sure how a straight edge could have been made on such a wall.

Is there any product that anyone could recommend, that might be suitable to fill the gaps? Regular fillers like caulk, etc, are far too soft/liquidy and get all over the stones, fall out, etc.

I'm looking for something harder, maybe like warm blu-tack consistency that I can push into the gaps, but still be able to paint over. I thought possibly putty, but I've never used it before and I'm not certain what it's like. Also I heard it can't be painted over with emulsion?

IMG_20170907_192553.jpg

Sponsored Links
whatever you do it's going to look a bit strange. should have plastered the ceiling in tight to the stonework

Well it should look alright, providing I can find a suitable filler. But I don't know what product to use. I've not seen anything really that suitable.

Are there any really thick fillers that won't leave marks if it touches the stone?

Maybe you could use some stone/natural tile sealant first, on the top most row of stones, then use some of the deep gap ready mix filler (toolstation and the like). You'll need to paint it though, with a careful hand or good masking. Because you will have previously sealed the stone, you should be able to wipe off excess filler/paint when still wet

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
You could pump in a little expanding foam. let it dry and cut back then fill back on top of it. The filler wont be too deep than and wont want to fall out.

I'd be tempted to use foam carefully. Tons of masking as expanded foam sticks like **** to a blanket, using the foam to seal/fill the big gap then apply filler over the top. Keep the masking on all the way through . Expanding foam keeps expanding so always use less than you expect

Maybe you could use small strips of foam rubber to wedge into the gap, providing a foundation for the filler? Or expanded metal/ rolled up chicken wire ? The filler needs something to grip to or big chunks may fall out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back