Filling gaps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I've been having problems at the back and sides of my bath where the grout and sealant strip have become rotten over time and leaked. I've stripped it all out and am going to re-do it all, but there are some pretty wide gaps in some places.

I don't want to try and fill them with just grout and mastic, as I know that over time they will move/shrink/crack and the problem will not go away.

What's the best thing to fill these gaps with which will provide a good base for the finishing grout and mastic to seal the area.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Ok, good question.

The wall to the side of the bath is tiled, and the bath sits on its mountings and butts close to the wall but not touching. At some points there is probably a gap of about 10mm high and 10mm deep into the wall below the tiles.

In fact, let me put up a piccy into my album...

I just want that gap to be as minimal as possible before I apply the grout and mastic.

Edit: Not sure about you, but I can't see the image. It's at //www.diynot.com/network/NBee/albums/1303/5208

I would raise the bath height by 10mm or so to leave a smaller gap vertically. The bath feet may have adjusters on them if not use some shims of suitable thickness. You must ensure that all feet get raised the same height so you don't upset the fall of waste water down the trap. You will need to check that there is some movement in the supply pipes to the taps, if there is no movement in the pipes don't raise the bath as you will put strain on the joints/pipes. You could retro fit some flexi connectors to allow some movement in the supply if needed. also assess what impact raising the bath will have on your bath panel/decor.

I would use a good quality silicone to fill/seal the now smaller gap.

Some info on sealant here
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=149209

If for any reason you cannot rais the bath you are left with the option of fitting someof that bath seal strip you can buy in the sheds.

Sponsored Links
NB - maybe think about using bath-edging tiles; these are 150mm long strips and have a bull-nose (or quadrant) profile. Fix with silicone - apply the silicone to the rear faces of the edging tiles and press into position against the wall & bath, hold with masking tape to prevent slip. Try to avoid the silicone oozing into the grout lines (wipe away). When silicon is dry, use grout the fill. These tiles are available from Topp Tiles & others. If you have a degree of movement with the bath/wall interface omit the grout & use silicon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back