Filling hole and mounting blinds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Had a bit of an issue mounting some blinds and now I need to fill a hole (about 20mm x30mm, 20-30mm deep at max point) and then put in screws to remount blinds. Please see attached images for reference. Which type of filler would you recommend. Screws are 30mm long.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1258.jpeg
    IMG_1258.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 56
Sponsored Links
Those plastic fat twist fixings are no uses for that job - infact they are not much use for any job bar perhaps hanging a picture on plasterboard.
You look like you do not have plasterboard but solid plaster wall cannot tell where the holes are but I would guess that you are hitting the lintel above the window making it hard to get a good fixing. I would not fix it there but fix it on the inside of the window revel (under the lintel to the left and right wall and that way you should find something better to drill into.
Start with a 5mm or smaller masonry drill and then one the right size otherwise if you start with the big one you may find that it drifts off if you hit the edge of a brick or something and then your hole is in the wrong place and bigger then you need.

The problem with a blind is that it needsa really good fixing because you are constantly basically trying to pull it off the wall unlike curtains.
You could try filling the hole you have with a chemical filler then either re drill or push 2 wallplugs in before it sets.

Those plastic fat twist fixings are no uses for that job - infact they are not much use for any job bar perhaps hanging a picture on plasterboard.
You look like you do not have plasterboard but solid plaster wall cannot tell where the holes are but I would guess that you are hitting the lintel above the window making it hard to get a good fixing. I would not fix it there but fix it on the inside of the window revel (under the lintel to the left and right wall and that way you should find something better to drill into.
Start with a 5mm or smaller masonry drill and then one the right size otherwise if you start with the big one you may find that it drifts off if you hit the edge of a brick or something and then your hole is in the wrong place and bigger then you need.

The problem with a blind is that it needsa really good fixing because you are constantly basically trying to pull it off the wall unlike curtains.
You could try filling the hole you have with a chemical filler then either re drill or push 2 wallplugs in before it sets.
Thanks for this. Unfortunately I can’t fixed it under the lintel to the wall as it’s a really large window and I have to use two blinds to cover the length and there isn’t a wall at the midpoint to use as a fixing. The underside of the lintel also not possible as not enough space (see images). So will try and fill the hole and see where this gets me. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1074.jpeg
    IMG_1074.jpeg
    466.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1256.jpeg
    IMG_1256.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 33
Hmmm - you could fix a wooden batten all the way across the top and fix your 2 blinds to that, get what screws you can in the wood to fix it to the wall but if you scrape and scratch the serface behind it to get a good key then use a tube adheasive the adheasive will do the heavy lifting - literally. Most of the wooden batten will be covered by the blind and id doesn't have to be really thick so your blinds will not be sitting way off the wall.
If you fill that hole with any normal filler it will be too soft to take the blind and you will end up where you are now.

It needs to be some kind of chemical repair.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. What do you me my chemical repair/chemical filler, are there any products you can recommend?

Thanks. What do you me my chemical repair/chemical filler, are there any products you can recommend?
I use this for hole repairs but the filling tube with the spiral inside is a one time use. Inside the tube are two pouches one about 4 times bigger than the other when you squeeze out with a mastic gun the two components mix in the tube and the reaction starts so you have about 5 mins before its solid while its still soft push in a rawlplug.
Its designed for fixing threadded studs into brick/block work for then attaching somethig with a nut.
There may be another 2 part resin product you can use, you can try polyfilla and the likes but I don't think it will be strong enough -- big blind ! try and get at least 1 hole a little deeper.

Are these roller blinds you are trying to fit? You will end up with a big gap in the centre, (25mm-35mm).

I would go for a vertical blind that would cover the hole window without any joins/gaps.
Depending on the width of your window, you may need to order one of a special length or you may get one just large enough to cover it.

I would probably cheat and use a two part wood filler, if I wanted to attempt to re-drill the same area.

Couldn't make out from your response if you were drilling into a lintel.

Presumably you are trying to drill into the lintel with a rubbish power drill - if so, you will get this problem, unless you use a decent, and I mean decent, hammer drill.

I suspect that any 2 part (polyester resin) wood filler will fail if you try to screw in to it. I often use 2 pack filler for deep holes when I want to be able to sand them with in half an hour.

By all means, use the 2 pack but first brush some dilute PVA or SBR into the hole so that (when it has dried) the 2 pack filler will adhere to it.

I would recommend using significantly longer screws and wall plugs, eg

and

https://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-sx-nylon-green-plug-6mm-x-50mm-90-pack/304hl but bury then deeper- you can tap the screw with a hammer to send the plug 10mm or so into the hole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back