Filling in deep gaps around radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'had had a number of radiators replaced in the house and now need to fill in the areas that were cut out for the new piping.
What would be the proper way to do this? I'm thinking protect the copper piping using a damp course membrane and then use a suitable plaster to fill in the hole. I've got 5 radiators to do so buying a whole load of bonding plaster seems a bit of an overkill.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_0176.JPG
    IMG_0176.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 906
Sponsored Links
In the photo it’s plasterboard so if they’re all like that you’re better cutting out more board so it’s square, and putting a new piece in cut around the pipe. You can either stick it in with dab or fix some little battens to the block and screw to that. Then put a thin coat of skim on and blend to existing, or if you don’t fancy plastering use powder filler like easifill and sand down after

Edit: if you use dab , protect the pipe from it like you say by putting a bit of dpc or tape round it

Is it just me who would shoot the 'plumber' for hacking a massive gap in the skirting board?
20mm electrical conduit is the perfect size for sleeving 15mm copper- you've probably done the job already but if not just cut conduit to length (45 degree cut for the bend), slit it with a hot knife or an angle grinder with a thin disc and pop it over the pipes, then board and fill as mentioned above.

Sponsored Links
I know a decorator that uses coving adhesive for large holes and Easi-Fills off. The coving adhesive sets much quicker. I found though the patch can then take a little while to dry out.

I normally just do 3 or 4 fills with something like Easi-Fill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back