Gap filling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

We're currently in the middle of converting our loft. Plasterboarding all the different angles has left some small to medium gaps between sheets.

Apart from "Do your plasterboarding better!" has anyone got any advice on what product to use to fill these gaps(9.5mm deep, some about 10mm wide). I've got a bag of old plaster - would using this do? Would I have to PVA over whatever I use before skimming?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Loft conversion is controlled building works & must comply with minimum standards; 9.5mm boards don’t usually factor into that equation! :confused:

Don’t use the old plaster, skip it; its probbaly past it’s sell by date, had it & won’t do you any favours. I'd use Bonding plaster rather than Multi but you could just s easily use a decent filler; double/triple tape those wide joints before skimming. From you post, I would advise you don’t even attempt to skim without doing a lot more research (also on loft conversions!) or it will end in tears; a start with this forum’s archive posts is as good a place as any & then come back if you have specific questions.

same, wouldnt use the multi, bonding probably best. no idea on the regs tho? may even need insulated boards?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply guys - will go along the Bonding route I think.

Is it me or did Richard C get out of the wrong side of bed this morning? :evil:

Cheer up fella - its Christmas :D :D

Richard C; if you use Bonding to fill the joints won't they dry out quicker when you skim?

By the way; I wouldn't take any notice of PhiLyn's comment, your reply was very polite and helpful (as always). You've helped hundreds of people including myself many times. Not a particularly nice response from PhiLyn who has 4 posts.

I think you will find RC is trying to help you, with regards of answering your post and pointing out, that loft conversions need to comply to Building Regulations.
He may have misunderstood your post regarding 9.5mm gaps and 9.5mm board thickness as the boards should be at least 12.5mm.
Unless I have misunderstood your post :oops:

any way you will find out, if return for help that Richard will always give the correct advise needed, if not will guide you in the right direction.
Here to help not hinder!

I think you will find RC is trying to help you, with regards of answering your post and pointing out, that loft conversions need to comply to Building Regulations.
He may have misunderstood your post regarding 9.5mm gaps and 9.5mm board thickness as the boards should be at least 12.5mm.
Unless I have misunderstood your post :oops:

any way you will find out, if return for help that Richard will always give the correct advise needed, if not will guide you in the right direction.
Here to help not hinder!

Yeah - but he was a bit grumpier than normal ;) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :evil: :evil:

if you use Bonding to fill the joints won't they dry out quicker when you skim?
Two ways to do it; either skim over just as the Bonding has gone off, so it’s still wet (don’t forget the tape though) or,

If you let it dry out, just stick a couple of sealing coats of PVA over it the day before skimming, let it dry out then give it another quick dose just before you get going. Old repaired & patched walls are the worst, sometimes a mixture of all sorts - emulsion, render, base plaster often gets the finish all going off at slightly different rates; the second coat pulls it back but it can still cause you some problems; with experience, just you just learn how to deal with it. ;)

if you use Bonding to fill the joints won't they dry out quicker when you skim?
Two ways to do it; either skim over just as the Bonding has gone off, so it’s still wet (don’t forget the tape though) or,

If you let it dry out, just stick a couple of sealing coats of PVA over it the day before skimming, let it dry out then give it another quick dose just before you get going. Old repaired & patched walls are the worst, sometimes a mixture of all sorts - emulsion, render, base plaster often gets the finish all going off at slightly different rates; the second coat pulls it back but it can still cause you some problems; with experience, just you just learn how to deal with it. ;)
Oooh, get her :rolleyes: :LOL: :LOL:

Yeah - but he was a bit grumpier than normal ;) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :evil: :evil:
This is a trade forum not a pu ssy foot chat room :LOL: but I can understand that sometimes I’m maybe a little too factual & direct with my answers for some folks liking; I'll try & make an extra effort. It’s almost certainly a legacy I’m left with from my previous working life but it’s never my intention to be grumpy or rude; but when it is, there won't be any doubt. :LOL: ;)

just skimmed a boarded ceiling today with 2 patches of bonding, plenty of pva, didnt make a difference to drying time while working. could see it drying bit quicker once we had done but thats it.

btw rc, direct n to the point is what people want. always very helpful :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back