Filling In Gas Fire Hole - Plan Suitable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to remove my 100,000 BC Gas Fire.. The previous owner said it has been disconnected, but I am getting a gas engineer in to take a look (he's doing stuff in the kitchen mainly).

I expect something like one of the following to remain.

My plan is to screw thick piece of plywood/hardboard to the brick or batton where I can't screw the sheet directly. I also plan to cut a small hole in the sheet to fit a vent to allow moisture to escape...However I also plan to apply a insulated piece of plasterboard ontop of the plywood to just make things a more warmer in the colder months.

Does this plan seem sensible?.........N.B. I am unsure if my chimney is capped etc, I do notice occassional gust/whistle of wind from gas fire area.

d208328fcdb647525d2937d1f529da8d.jpg

4cSpBnPNDmkkwlcw3SCOe0GLdrK-hcbG3TproSc80jL1clj14qxJco2G1gLssx0lvap89K8DpJpHgcvPfzcaRgEQYxt702bEdNvUO5cLx5wq-c3nBKmmLu57RlVbIvbMNBkBtEqO9i3iG9v3tUYE

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back