filling in hollows in grass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I turfed my garden last year and didn't get it as flat as I would like, there are quite a lot of hollows in it that I want to fill in.

At the worst point the depressions are 2" deep where it was rushed and wasn't trod in or levelled properly so I want to fill them in but at what depth - thickness can I top the soil up without killing the grass , where the grass grows in the 2" hollow it is 3.5" long could I fill it in and level it up in one go would anybody know?

Thanks for any replies

Sponsored Links
Use to work on a golf course and we use to put 1/2" top dressing on without any problems, dragged across with a mat. Anything more, we use to cut and fold back the turf, fill it in with top soil and then return the turf to its place.

Sure you can get away with much more on a lawn, I've got the same prob where the grass has sunk due to new drainage pipes, going o try the above at the weekend.

Any more than about 20mm will kill most of it off. You could just fill it up and seed the patches though.

Sponsored Links
As above fill with topsoil placed under the turf (fold back or cut out first) or put a donor piece over the lot and water well until it restrikes (roots). You will probably have a corner to skin for the donor bits. Just reseed the corner when finished. Or you could just reseed the topsoil fill and wait until it regrows

Example only
http://bit.ly/10PWxRa

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back