Filling in old socket boxes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to fill some old sockets with cement, what’s the best way to stop it fall it fal

Attachments

• 0A8CF916-EB89-483F-A740-F60DB575C7E0.jpeg
    0A8CF916-EB89-483F-A740-F60DB575C7E0.jpeg
    458.7 KB · Views: 67
Sponsored Links
I believe that sharp sand will enable you apply thicker coats.

Alternatively using browning plaster.

Sponsored Links
Might be worth putting a couple of concrete screws in to give it something to hold on to?.

Remember to Dampen bricks before putting in what ever filler you chose.

I cut some breeze block slices to the desired size and cement them in.
Make sure it's a tight fit.

I believe that sharp sand will enable you apply thicker coats.
Sharp sand is added where shrinkage is a problem (roof verges etc). It slumps and is harder to work with and some shrinkage wont be an issue as he'll be able to compact it and thoroughly dampen first.

Need to fill some old sockets with cement, what’s the best way to stop it fall it fal
We'd have some board adhesive on the go and we'd dab in some bits of plasterboard for deeper areas. We'd also point around any existing socket boxes with dab too. Good gear. Strong grab and doesn't shrink much.

When the labourer brings you a bucket of mortar over and it's got an inch of water on the top you know he's used the spreads sand. They prefer our sand if it wasn't for the cracking.

Sharp sand is added where shrinkage is a problem (roof verges etc). It slumps and is harder to work with and some shrinkage wont be an issue as he'll be able to compact it and thoroughly dampen first.

Thanks, I now understand why it is used on flaunchings.

So if the OP was to use plastering sand, would that make life easier?

Ahhh.. Google tells me that it is used where the finish needs to be smoother.
You can work it to a smooth hard finish, yes. Its impossible to work with in small amounts or point with.

A fatter softer sand is better because it is workable, less gritty and does not separate from the water as readily.

Building sand has more rounded particles and often contains impurities that produce a more workable mortar. When lime was used as the binder, sharp sand with more angular grains that had some of the loam washed out of it could still produce a workable mortar.
Lime suppliers sell building sand with sharper, angular grains. The shape of them lock together better than the rounded ones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back