Filling is little tears in wallpaper before painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I want to paint my living room and there is currently some sort of paintable wallpaper. There is also the odd patch where a scrap has come off. Is there any way round, re wallpapering the whole room - i.e. filling in the scraps?? I'll be painting over it all with a couple of coats of paint as the colour I have picked is quite light
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If the paper is sound against the wall then you could fill and light sand then paint over the filler with thinned Matt emulsion first then let dry then paint, what colour is the wall at the moment?

Assuming that you mean that the surface has been ripped away (leaving the backing paper exposed)- I would apply a coat of Zinsser BIN first and then surface fill with RedDevil OneTime.

The BIN will prevent the moisture in the filler from reactivating the glue and causing the paper to bubble (and crack the filler).

RedDevil is a dream to sand (use 180 grit silicone carbide paper) and the dust wont cling to everything. (drying time, an hour or two when thin).

RedDevil can be purchased from Toolstation or most decorator's merchants

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pai...Devil+Onetime+Filler+1+Ltr/d150/sd3169/p88654

Zinsser BIN from most decorator's merchants (use household ammonia to clean your brushes). If you can't find any, use shellac knotting solution (BIN is shellac based). (drying time 30 mins)

Once sanded and filled, just paint over with your emulsion, not need to thin paint first

Sponsored Links
Yeah red devil ONE TIME really is good. I've often got so used to mixing powdered filler I forget about ONE TIME. Used it recently though- a doddle to use and dries harder than I remembered which was good

I did mean that the paper had come away completely leaving little gaps. Thanks for the advice everybody, I will try that red devil stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back