Filling large holes in a wooden door

I purchased Ronseal 2 part filler and applied this today. I’ve left it to set for 24 hours which in hindsight, feels a mistake.

Have I left it too long and will I be able to sand it down in 24 hours?

Sponsored Links
I have been using the Ronseal 2 part filler and it has done a brilliant job with my door. Very pleased and thanks again.
However, it does dry very quickly and hence there is very limited working time - despite using a tiny amount of hardener. This means that I need to be mix new solution on a regular basis...
I particular, my skirtings have some mitres that have a small gap and I need to fill these. Yes, us mere mortals aren't able to achieve the perfect joints! I feel that this requires the substance to be squeezed into the void and in places shaped up. best done with a finger in my experience. This doesn't seem possible with the 2 part filler.

I don't want to use caulk. What do you advise please?

Sponsored Links
If you know there is going to be a gap, butter the joint with whatever filler you use so when you push together the gap is filled and excess is squeezed out to wipe away.

butter the joint with whatever filler you use so when you push together the gap is filled and excess is squeezed
Excellent tip for next time.
Currently I feel that I need a decent wood filler that I can work into these gaps and the 2 part filler doesn’t lend itself to this.

I’d really appreciate recommendations on what may be suited in this situation.

Work faster, and only use in small quantities. Then mix again.
When I use this stuff with my hands, it’s an absolute pig to remove. Or is that because I left it too long before I washed my hands...
I am wondering now...

Do you guys think it would be okay to spread the 2 part filler with my fingers - into these crevices?
Save me buying another product.

Don't use your hands.
Old credit card, knife, piece of plastic bottle (ideally lengthways)

How about insulation tape wrapped around the index finger before I do this? I just think it will be difficult to achieve this with the profile of a skirting especially given the very aggressive drying times

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back