Filling large cavities in wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some old wood carvings for the garden that I am trying to restore. I have removed the rotten wood and applied wood hardener to the inside of the cavities. Does anyone know of an exterior filler that can be used to fill large cavities (about 3"x3"x6"). Car body filler would work but would be pretty expensive. Does anyone have any ideas?

Sponsored Links
you either replace the bit off wood
or you cut out dammaged area and glue and screw in a replacement bit off wood

That is what I would do if these were simply bits of planed timber. In this case they are carvings. The fronts are in good order but the backs are hollowed out where I have dug out the rot. The cavities are pretty irregular in shape so fitting new wood in is not an option.
Thanks anyway.

you are still better if they are non structural to cut a bit off wood and if it its not an exact fit then use filler as wood is a fraction off the cost off filler ;)

Sponsored Links
you might be able to apply a resin repair(if only i could remember the bl...y name)we had it at work and used to cut out rotten windows etc,mix it up 2 pack and apply.it can be sanded and moulded and its flexible when dry and painted no problem.

Why do you need to fill the cavities?

If it's for weight, mortar, or bricks/stones held in with expanding foam?

I really want to fill the cavities to prevent further decay, the wood is so soft and crumbly that it would soon succumb to rot and insect attack. I don't expect these carvings to last forever but if I can get a few years out of them it would be good. I had thought of expanding foam but was concerned that the expansion effect would overload the remaining timber. However, since posting this thread I have discovered that there are minimal expansion foams available. Good idea about suspending stones or something within the foam though.

I really want to fill the cavities to prevent further decay, the wood is so soft and crumbly that it would soon succumb to rot and insect attack. I don't expect these carvings to last forever but if I can get a few years out of them it would be good. I had thought of expanding foam but was concerned that the expansion effect would overload the remaining timber. However, since posting this thread I have discovered that there are minimal expansion foams available. Good idea about suspending stones or something within the foam though.

Screwfix do an adhesive foam for about a tenner, but beware of this, since you then have to buy a foam nozzle gun for £20 to get it to work. This may be the case with other manufacturers. Just thought I'd forewarn you.

go for wood stabilising solution remove all possible soft and loose wood
soak in solution and fill with a combination off wood and filler
keeping in mind the requirements for support and structural strength

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back