Filling large holes in a wooden door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to restore these Victorian bedroom doors and have so far stripped off the paint. Wil sand down where required and then prime before I paint them white. The situation has progressed since this picture...
upload_2020-6-19_13-34-19.png

These doors have various holes where the nigh latches and locks have been fitted over the years. I assume that I can fill these in with pieces of wood glued in and then finish off with a wood filler. Does that seem sensible?

Which filler would you recommend for this purpose please?

Sponsored Links
You would need a 2 part wood filler, screwfix item number:

Andy

Have you read the safety sheet for it? :eek:

If the holes are big enough to accept a block of wood to fill out the majority I would use that method and then fill any remaining gaps, small holes with a good flexible filler and sand down smooth.

HI @conny, which flexible filler do you suggest? I have access to a Toolstation and Screwfix tomorrow.
Alternatively, should I use foam to fill the holes and then use the 2 part filler?

Sponsored Links
Expanding foam is the devils spawn in my opinion. Difficult to judge how much you need without using too much and I'm not sure of it's flame retardant features.
I think it would be easy enough to fit and glue some blocks into the old lock slots and then just use a filler such as Tetrion. I use the ready mixed tubs, the powder is a faff and the tubes are a pain to squeeze. Fill big gaps/deep hols with a few layers rather than a thick dollop. Thick filler never sets correctly so a few thinner layers, allow to dry between each filling, make the last layer slightly proud of the surface. Once fully dry use a block wrapped in glasspaper or an orbital sander if you have one. Sand down the door prior to painting and remove all dust with a tac rag or a cloth dampened with white spirit. Don't soak the wood or the grain will lift and you will have to sand it again.

Conny, Sometimes in life we just need to get on with it.

Andy

I know Andy. A few years ago I'd probably just put the gear on and get on with it, but with 2 disabled people in the house plus I have CKD I prefer to stay away from that kind of stuff these days. Does seem pretty powerful for DIY though. I'd expect that kind of thing to be for industrial use rather than domestic.

Look on YouTube for Dutchman repair (doors)
Basically cutting an existing hole to be a square one, then creating an identically sized piece to fit the hole

I've just repaired an oak door by filling holes like yours using that Ronseal 2 part filler. It's easy to mix and use (golf ball size amount of filler to a pea sized amount of hardener) and dries in about 20 mins when it's ready for sanding. Dries rock hard.

I've just repaired an oak door by filling holes like yours using that Ronseal 2 part filler. It's easy to mix and use (golf ball size amount of filler to a pea sized amount of hardener) and dries in about 20 mins when it's ready for sanding. Dries rock hard.

Did you breathe the vapour?

This is a useful tip which I've used a few times - from around 2:38 - hammering splinters of wood into screw holes. It strengthens the area, cuts down on filling time, and lessen the chance of filler sinking.

(I'm aware that I link to their videos quite a bit, but they are really useful, and relaxing at the same time.)

Last edited:
BTW, the Everbuild Wood Filler 55602 from Toolstation (Howdens have it also if you have a friendly place near you) is perfectly adequate for loads of holes. Ready mixed, one pot, I have got it all over me (not recommended, but it happens) and not reacted.

Buy a mask while you're there - if you can't find any available, ask and you could be lucky - I bought a load of sandpaper and said I was worried as I was having to reuse one and the fella gave me a free mask from under the counter.

Also, get yourself a couple of paper overalls. 79564 (large). They're £1.98 each, will last a couple of sessions, and keep much of the dust off your clothes, hair and skin. They do wash OK, and once they are beyond wearing, you can tear bits off for use as rags...o_O
The 3M ones for £5.68 are more robust if you want to splash out!

Also, clear glasses if they have them.

P.S. don't buy their cheap sandpaper rolls, they are shirt.

Last edited:
98277 (Toolstation, but Screwfix do similar) is a really useful set of filler knives in different sizes. £2.25.

Sorry - bit of a newbie to this and this is all the gear I've found invaluable. Renovated two doors and door frames in the last six weeks or so. Watched a LOT of the Painting and Decorating channel on YouTube, ordered the gear, and just got stuck in. I'm slow, but there's always help online.

6830X (Screwfix) if you're using a gun for your silicone, sealant,v filler, etc, these are bloody excellent screw-on caps which mean you can reuse the same tube for days/weeks without waste or the nozzle drying out. (I used to use nails but they weren't airtight.)

( I may pull all of these together and stick them in a 'newbie kit' thread at a later date.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back