Filling loop valve seized up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For some reason that I can't understand my 27CDi Worcester Bosh does not have the filling system shown on the installation instructions, which denotes that the system is filled using a key.

I am totally familiar with this as it was on the boiler in my last house, which was a 24CDi.

The 27CDi has a steel braided hose on the underside of the boiler with 2 connections and 2 cheap plastic-handled in-line valves of the type you might use to plumb in a washing machine if you weren't too fussy. I am surprised at Worcester Bosh using such cheap fittings on a top of the range boiler!

I can remember the installation engineer showing me how to fill the system. One valve is the inlet to the CH system and the other valve is the filling valve from the mains.

The problem is that the cold water inlet valve will not move, indicating that it has seized up. The boiler has only been topped up once in 20 months! I am frightened to use force on the valve in case I break the handle it as it has a small cheap, tawdry plastic handle.

Please advise. I have used wD40 to no avail!

Sponsored Links
Thank you kevplumb. Will do this after leaving WD40 on overnight.

Sponsored Links
I did what you suggested and it worked a treat. I was able to open and shut the valve without any trouble.

Now here's a strange thing. A few hours later it was as tight as ever, which coincides with the central heating being on, but surely that should have no bearing on it whatsoever considering this is the cold fill valve.

I notice that on the opposite end of this valve from the handle, there is a round black plastic fitting which appears to have a square or hex for an Allen key sunk into it. Could it be that this is for some sort of adjustment which isn't set right and is causing the valve to seize when it is activated?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back