filling plaster board tapered edge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am renovating my 1900 terraced house & would be grateful for some expert advise.

The origanal plaster was well shot & falling away in lumps exposing the brickwork on the front external wall.

this is a solid wall with my front door & 1 window.

I want to dot & dab plaster board to ease decoration but have a few questions for all you experts.

1. when using tapered edge plasterboard how to you join & fill the non tapered edge if you only plan to tape & fill the tapered edges?
I see the american/canadian diy shows never plaster their drywall, just fill the joins & screwholes.

2. Will i need to use a foil backed board as its an external solid wall?
no damp issues but have some exposed brickwork.

3. as the plaster has been patched in places in the past i have a very uneven surface to work off. the are areas with render, plaster & some with bare brick. can i just add extra adhesive when dotting & dabbing to bring it all level?

If i was to use insulation backed board like celotex pl3000 will the insulation react with the pvc insulation around electric cables?
Should they just be capped?

Also just a word of warning, steer well clear of crystal double glazing, long story for another post.

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I would assume your walls are solid, and don't have a cavity. The consequences are that the walls may be cold in winter, and condensation may form on them, and that unless the exterior is in perfect condition, there is likely to be a degree of damp coming through the wall from outside.

This might result in the dabs becoming unstuck.

It might also be why you are losing lumps of plaster.

Therefore you should consider a vapour barrier, which could be polythene, foil backed plasterboard, or insulated board.

My guess is that you can't dot & dab foil board very successfully.

You could use polythene, then batten it all level, then plasterboard.
Or polythene, batten, insulated board.
Or batten and insulated board.
Or batten and foil board.......

Ref tapered edges, I think in some countries they can have very long boards, so they don't have the problem of filling non tapered edges. But if you have to deal with them here, you just build up the surface a little.

A plastered wall is definately better (smoother, flatter, hard wearing, fillable and sandable).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back