filling up a cut out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys i have to fill up a 40mm channel which i made to run cold feed pipe to shower. Can i use cement based powder tile adhesive or is that not meant for such a depth? I want it to dry rather quickly and i have read on this forum to avoid plaster due to long dry out time. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Don’t encase service pipes in addy/cement/plaster as thermal expansion will cause cracks. Cover the pipes with felt if you can & an appropriate width electrical cable cap; I use steel but plastic will do. Flatten/bend any which way to suit/fit & fix in place; fill out flush with addy but no more than around 12mm deep in one hit. TBH, narrow chases can be filled with Bonding plaster; it’s not a suitable tile base but a 40mm wide chase will make little difference to overall tile bond strength, even in a wet area.

Thanks for your answer Richard.....btw do i have to seal the cut out with pva before i fill the channel in with cement addy or bonding plaster? Ta.

Sponsored Links
You need to kill the suction or the Bonding in particular will craze & crack, damp it down well with a water spray.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back